Copper IUD unexplainable bursts of pain throughout cycle

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had my IUD copper coil in for 10 weeks now, initially it was fine but often I get this awful pain what I can only describe as really intense ovultion pain almost as if the coil is "digging in" I check my strings regularly and they seem fine. Does anyone else get this or know what it could be? Thanks in advance. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

This happened to me my last period! It was horrible. I thought my iud was coming out bc of the pain and I never really have cramps. Everything seems to be back to normal though. I'm on my period now and no intense pains. Hope you're feeling better

• Posted

Thanks. I feel fine at the moment had a few twinges like the pain was starting again today but luckily didn't amount to anything. It's horrendous when it comes it causes me to become breathless and to double over, I am soon to return to work since having my son and honestly thinking of having it taken out. I cannot deal with the period pain or that unexplainable pain I get randomly through my cycle, esp whilst standing all day. x

• Posted

I had the copper for about 5 months, my first period seemed fine, but from then on it was absolutely unbearable, I had to cancel anything for the entire time I had my period. I was out of the country for 3 months and could not contact my doctor, but the pain only lasted while I had my period. Then, when I returned and went for a check-up they told me it was misplaced and took it out. It also turns out I have a tilted uterus and they said that's why it must've hurt so much because the iud was not staying in place. You should go for a vaginal ultrasound to check that it's still in place

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.