Suggestions for coping with achalasia please!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was eventually diagnosed with acahalasia (manometric test) about 3 years ago. I had botox which was fine for a few months. I would prefer not to have it again as it was quite unpleasant (possibly not enough tranquiliser during the endoscopy). I would like to take something before eating especially as I am now having trouble more often and indeed with things I managed okay before (salads). Has anybody tried hot drinks/cold drinks or any other medication? I try to eat slowly with small bites. Oddly I find that once I have vomitted I am okay for the rest of the meal and this is fine at home but problematic when eating out! I know this has probably been asked and answered before but it takes ages to trawl through the message board! I am in the UK

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Take phenergen 25mg about 2 hours before main meal and have a glass of bicarb in water 5 minutes before eating. Works most if the time for me. Only problem ocurs day or two after consuming alcohol then be very careful only eat soup for day or two.

Good luck. Let me know how you go please?

• Posted

You might like to read A Patinet's Guide to achalsia that you can download from the website of the oesophageal patinets Association under The Oesophagus and Achalasia.   there is also a meeting in St Johns Wood London at 5pm on 4 October for achalasia sufferers.

?People do find salads difficult to swallow, and you may just have to steer clear of them, and anything else that has a hard, or stringy texture, or skins.  

• Posted

Thanks for the replies. I have decided to try drinking sparkling water (rather than take bicarb) before and during a meal. Oddly I seem to have most incidents in the middle of the day (maybe I'm in more of a hurry then). Alas the meeting in St John's Wood is several 100 miles from where I live but I have downloaded the Patient's Guide.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.