Could I have Cyclothymia?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I've always been considered a person who has had mood swings. However the mood swings have become bad the past two years or so to a point where it's interfering with my job and life. I go through episodes where I become sad, problems concentrating, depressed, fatigue or low energy, feelings of hopelessness, worthlessness, or guilt, unmotivated, crying, not wanting to be around people, racing thoughts, feeling rubbish about the future, can't be bothered and I literally want to stay in bed and do nothing. Sometimes these depressed moods last a few days. Other times is lasts a few hours.

So i do also have moods where I feel good and happy, I'm hyperactive, I have all these ideas about what I want to do with the future, increase in talking, increase optimism, increase in sex drive, extremely high self-esteem and have more energy that I normally do. I'm also very irritable on times and can become angry over the smallest thing. I decide I want to do things and then I completely change my mind. I was originally diagnosed with anxiety a few years ago as I was worrying a lot. I also have normal days where I feel normal and my mood is consistent for a few days but then the depressed mood seems to come back again with the odd happy mood in between.

My mood can also change throughout the day as well for example I can wake up depressed, by lunch time I'm normalish and my evening I can be hyperactive.

I was able to manage my moods however about three months ago they seemed to of got worse. I felt more depressed than usual but the depression would only last a few days or even a few hours. My thoughts have been racing more than often and It got to the point where I walked out of my job due to not being able to cope.

I've been to the doctor about two months ago and broke down crying and was put on anti depressants which are not stopping me from feeling low and depressed. On these anti depressants my moods are exactly the same. Although I've been more hyperactive and the depessed moods are just as bad. I've contacted my doctor today and told me I may have Cyclothymia.

I was wondering if anyone has had any exprience of this? or thinks that this sounds like Cyclothymia?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes it does sound like cyclothymia , if you read about Stephen fry it could help you relate to this as this is what he was originally diagnosed with until recently then he was diagnosed bipolar type 1.
  • Posted

I have the exact same symptoms as you however i am not diagnosed by anyone.

In regard to the depression i have that in moderation constantly then get bouts of either mania or anger which normally ends up in a 'come down' into a deeper depression which levels out and continues in a loop.

Would be cool if you could reply i have no idea if this post is really old.

• Posted

Hi Joe777

Thanks for responding to my post. I'm currently under the doctors care but they are trying to put my symptons down to a stressful job and anxiety which I don't believe this is the case as my symptons have being going on for a good few years now, although the depression spells are getting worse which is why I went to my GP in the first place. If I had depression I would always feel depressed but I don't, I go through days where I feel normal and hyper and then days or even hours sometimes where I'm so depressed I can't even get out of bed. I've been on antidepressants now for a good few weeks and again they're not really helping with the depression.

• Posted

Hm, ive no idea what do to is there anyway to get drugs without going to 50 different doctors?
    • Posted

You need to go to a doctor and explain your symptoms and then take it from there.
    • Posted

I have the exact same symptoms but I was diagnosed as bipolar II with severe anxiety.
    • Posted

Joe,

It's best to schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist, as they are the doctor's who specialize in medication management. Ask your primary care physician if they can possibly refer you to one that they know.

Finding a psychiatrist that also provides therapy sessions is a plus, otherwise you'll have to see a psychologist for that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.