TOS...diagnose...surgery?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was having nmbness in my right hand. Felt it was from work. I reported it.  we iced me...it was not helping. They finally sent me to the doctor wold not listen to me.  She said it was carpel tnnel.  I have had MRI ltrasond xrays blood...steroids..nero Doctor..OIP doctor.  I have been in PT for abot two months now! This started in Jan this year btw.    Finally got to the spine doctor as i was feeling hopeless. by this point...both arms affect...nmbness both sides...my right first rib is elevated...the pec mscle is sooo tight and it has the most pain in that area.  The spine doctor says I have TOS.  My PT also agrees with this. For the meanwhile...we have been trying to tape my sholders back as my postre has worsen.  elevating my arms makes me nmb...jst typing this makes me hrt. (sorry i am missing a key on my keyboard so bare with me please!)   Jst when i feel symptoms are getting better...they go back to where they are.  The pain has NOTHING to do with my hands.  My elbow tends to keep the nmbness the longest... however, the pec area is the most intense. when pressing the area it sends pain down.  Has anyone had things like this? does this sond like TOS?  am i pretty mch to the end and look like i shold have srgery??    opinions and help appreciated   thankyo!!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

In my opinion it does sound like you could have TOS, based on having a lot of the same symptoms that you do and I was diagnosed last year..  Where the majority of your pain is lying in the pec area, you may benefit from a pec minor tenotomy or even a botox injection to relieve the nerve pain in that area.  The rib resection is a major surgery that takes months to heal from, some (including myself) being out of work for 2 months and still recovering 4 months later.  What area of the country do you live in?

• Posted

I am in the US...PA state. My doctor said the nearest place who specializes in this is at John Hopkins in Baltimore MD
  • Posted

It absolutely sounds possible, I'm 31 I work in a hospital I've had bilateral 1st rob resectioned anterior and medial scalenectomies and bilateral peck mi or Tendonotomies honestly the recovery wasn't as bad as what iexpected I was up walking the halls with a IV pump, a chest tube, JP drain probably 6 hours after surgery.

-take a look at the pads on the inner part of your palm...starting from just past the inner wrist to just before the pinky this can start to atrophy and flatten out/have less contour

- do some range of motion raising your arms above your head, lay on your back and drop one arm out to the side off the table start straight out then up above your head and down to the floor.

- do you get occipital head pain, sub- scapular pain, chest pin that stops right at the nipple line & arm pain.

-Does sleeping aggravate it (side/ stomach with your arm above your head you may get to the piont you can't sleep)

If you go for surgery do your research there are plenty of hacks or good surgeons who don't know much about First rib resections or TOS. With that inning there are plenty of CT surgeons that also think they are God so they don't have weakness and there isn't anything they don't know (mine wasn't like that.... Although he seemed Goddly to me once he fixed me)

There is no diagnosis to confirm nTOS so you are going to have To go off your symptoms and what people are telling you!

Good Luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.