Simple exercises when in a Boot

Posted , 5 users are following.

My doctor gave me a boot and have it on for 6 week, but I can PWB and FWB. I'm about 4week into it, but I feel my calf and feet going numb fron inactivity. I was wondering how many people, even though their doctor had not ask you to, took their foot out of the boot and gave it a wiggle, just simple ROM stuff.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I am 13 weeks, I wore boot only for 3 weeks, it was uncomfortable even compare to the cast, my heel was painful all the time. I always took it off when I sat, also at nights. But I didn't have any numbness or other problems.

• Posted

I take my foot out of the boot as soon I get home from work (I'm one day over 4 weeks into a full rupture). I certainly don't weight bare when not wearing the boot but will move toes and flex my foot a little. I have not yet tried to point my toes but am considering giving it a go next wednesday/Thursday. I will also gently rub my calf going from below the knee towards the ankle. Having a warm bath really really helped to take any stiffness away and whilst in the bath I could totally straighten my leg with only a slight tightness in my calf, no pain at all.

• Posted

24 days since for myself have been back in boot over week and have already had 2 therapy sessions. 
  • Posted

My surgeon has decided to take aggressive approach I am already back at work but deal with swelling daily so I need to tone back my being on feet which is hard with my job but a must. I miss driving and being able to shower without care of reinjuring. Otherwise I feel great just swelling is a pain in the rear.
  • Posted

I removed splints I had after surgery and just put back on after an hour without. All has been well though I feared I did more harm than good but so far no issues. I say as long as you don't stretch the Achilles you should wiggle your toes and point your foot with toes curled towards the floor.

• Posted

When I ruptured & went the non op recovery I followed doctor's order to a "T". I was in the boot for weeks 5 to 8 starting with 3 wedges & 1 wedge came out each week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.