Got Sarcoidosis And Uveitis? Don't Forget Scleritis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Those of us who have sarcoidosis, have in some instances familiarity with the painful eye auto-immune disease, uveitis.

Well, here's a new one to "look out" for as it were. Yet another auto-immune disease called scleritis. It was found when I had a bit of a panic and went to my optometrist for a suspected uveitis flare up (and the implications associated with that).

Scleritis affects the outer surface of the eye (the sclera or white of the eye).

And just so no one gets complacent about this disease, it too can cause blindness if allowed to continue for too long.

https://patient.info/health/episcleritis-and-scleritis-leaflet

In my case, it caused a secondary flare up of uveitis.

I have been administering Predniferen drops every hour from all last week.

The scleritis had cleared, but the uveitis has persisted. Later today I'm going back to my optometrist to find out if it has cleared.

Like uveitis, do not leave scleritis for any length of time. Severe damage or blindness can result. In one article, the "N" word is mentioned... NECROSIS... this hideous condition manifests in the back of the eye in one form of this disease.

Emis Moderator comment: I have replaced the given links with a link to the equivalent article on our site.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have had a few episodes of uveitis and episcleritis before sarc was diagnosed
    • Posted

I hadn't heard of scleritis until last week. Up 'til then, I had only the uveitis to contend with. No one thought of mentioning the other one.

When reading about scleritis, it was the one that attacks the back of the (outside) of the eye that perturbed me. It can't normally be seen and in addition, it causes necrosis.

I have had sarcoid since 2008 (earlier?), the uveitis made it's unwelcome debut in 2013 to coincide with the spread of the sarcoid.

Thinking about it now, it could have been earlier too, but mistaken for an allergy as I'm prone to those as well.

Just shoot me now.....

• Posted

I've also had scleritis and episcleritis and wondered why it's never mentiond in any of the numerous publications I've read. I've had sarcoid for 42 years and this was one of the first symptoms for me.

Thanks for this link, zss.

:-) 

• Posted

Yes Onforall, the mind boggles. Particularly so when it is just as destructive if not more so than uveitis.

Necrosis of the eye.... perish the thought......

42 years of sarcoid, it sounds like a sentence for the term of your natural life. sad

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing this information. I hope your eyes heal very soon, take care.
    • Posted

Hello BB, there are other threads and references on sleritis in Patient, but couldn't find any specifically in the sarcoidosis forum. The information I had on my origional post, was actually edited in by Patient moderators, replacing what I had put there myself, from other sources.

Finding out about scleritis for the first time last week after 8 years of sarcoid was an unwelcome surprise. It made me speculate how many other sarcoid sufferers (or not) were aware of scleritis and the awful consquences if left untreated.

Thank you, my eyes have healed, the redness and pain are gone. It is now the gradual withdrawal off the Predniferen I have to contend with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.