Puzzled

Posted , 5 users are following.

I would sure like to hear some responses, experiences about post-surgery eating.  I got my pre-surgery packet today.  In the info about post-surgery eating, it talks about clear, then soft, over the first few days, and then by the 5th day regular food.  Is this your reality?  This info differs greatly from the info I printed off this site, from a US hospital; their guidelines phase in eating over at least a month.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I had the HM surgery about 7yrs ago in the US and if I remember correctly, I had to have food that was purred (sp?) for about a month or so. It was very slow going at first and I had to work my way up to solids.
  • Posted

After my hellers myotomy I was only allowed soft pureed/ sloppy

food for six weeks and gradually introduce normal food.

But still have to avoid some things like some bread and certain meats

and was also told never to try and eat steak ever.

I would often have fish which is easy to swallow but be extra careful

about bones.

One thing I can't advice enough is buying something called a moulli ( not sure how to spell it )

I put mince through it and it ground it down small enough to eat but

it still held it's texture making it look pallatable.

I still use it occasionally when I am having trouble swallowing.

• Posted

Thank you for the information. Is what you suggest some sort of appliance, like a blender?  I just bought a hand-held immersion blender today, and it purees food like a charm.  My food at lunch 'stuck' for a very long time today and it was uncomfortable.  The now-pureed food goes down a whole lot better, with water of course.

• Posted

I was clear liquids for 2 days after surgery. Then soft foods for 10 days. Then slowly as tolerated bring back foods you enjoy. Eating slowly, chewing like crazy and small bites. I was eating pizza 3 weeks after. It sounds like you know your body pretty well. Do what feels right . You'll be great .

• Posted

So, how long has it been since your surgery?  Are you back to eating normally, whatever that might be?  Are there foods that you would suggest that are 'off the plate' forever?

• Posted

I had my surgery on June 14th. I can eat anything I want . I will try to stay away from very spicy foods , might be pk but I can live without. I really thought I would have to give up most of my favorites. . Very happy with the way it turned out.
    • Posted

I had the surgery in 2012 and though it helped some, I wish it had helped a lot more. I still get choked quite frequently and I started aspirating last year. I do NOT eat popcorn, but I eat pretty much what I want. Though I will say, certain things still make me choke, gag and throw up. On a scale of 1 to 10, Id say the survey improved my condition by about a 5.
  • Posted

There are some experiences of people's eating in A Patient's Guide to Achalasia that you can download from the website of the Oesophageal Patients Association under The Oesophagus and Achalasia (towards bottom of page).  

?I think it is likely that everyone is a bit different and it will depend on the details of the procedure, but in the first days after the surgery you will need to have very soft food because there will be some inevitable internal soreness and swelling.   This should reduce after some days, but the general rule would be to play safe and veer towards soft and liquid food rather than risk anything too tricky to digest.   It seems to be the texture of the food that counts, so avoid things with skins, like tomato, meat with  astringy texture and white bread and rice that is likely to congeal.  There is an analogy with things that tend to build up around the drainhole of the kitchen sink.  I think those rules would probably apply indefinitely after the surgery.  

Eat little and often and do not continue to swallow if the previous mouthfuls have not progressed past your chest into your stomach.

?I think that progressing gradually has to be the best advice.   You will have to re-learn what you can and cannot eat safely.   You also have to give your body time to recover from all the stress it has been under with the condition and then the surgery.   Try just one mouthful only of something that you have not had before until you are really sure, after 20 minutes, that it has been OK.

• Posted

As usual Alan, you give excellent guidance, thank you.  I have printed out that Patient's Guide you suggested a while back, and it differs so much from what I received in my pre-surgery info.  Perhaps there is more to come after the surgery is done.  I do think what you have written is the 'wise' way to go.  Again, I appreciate what you share on this site, it has been helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.