Im having severe back pain with muscle twitching and arms and legs falling asleep

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, my name is Josh.

I'm 19 and I'm in the Marine Corps. Ever since I've joined, I've had a LOT of back pain, along my whole spine and it's only getting worse. All day every day I have back pain usually like a 6/10 up to an 8/10. I've tried to contact our aid station but we have been busy with training so I was hoping I could help the doctors out by giving them a possible lead on my problem. Here are my symptoms:

When I lay down, I feel that my spine is breaking. I can't stand still for more than 15 minutes without my whole back killing me and in need of relief. When I sleep, I wake up with my whole arms or legs (sometimes both arms and both legs) completely asleep and throughout the day my hands, forearms, and calves will twitch for about 20-30 minutes. I can't put my pack on my back without instant pain throughout. My spine curves out around my shoulder blades and back in around my neck. My back pops all the time even if I don't try to. Moving my legs laterally pops my lower back and leaning back pops my whole back. The pops are audible and painful. When I sit down, no matter if I am slouching, sitting straight, totally relaxing, or in literally any position, my back will be killing me and my legs usually fall asleep. I've gone to the chiropractor and that does nothing but add pain for hours. I've tried fixing my posture with willpower and posture fixing garments for 6 weeks, I've tried stretching and I've tried anti-inflammatory medicines and I cannot get any relief. Please help and anything you can find out will totally help. Thank you so much.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Also, I forgot to add in my symptoms, I have a very hard time breathing. I feel like there is a weight on my chest and rib cage, pushing in on my lungs. Not sure if it relates but I'm not a professional haha

• Posted

Hi Josh,

You don't say if you have scoliosis, kyphosis or both. But I can say that I do and can relate to all your symptoms.

Your quality/type of bed mattress will make a difference to your arms and legs being numb in the morning. I had to experiment a lot with them.

Fair play for being in the marines if you back is anything like mine. I certainly couldn't do it.

• Posted

Hi Josh,

I practice Bikram Yoga, which has been instrumental in relieving my pain. Adding strength and flexibility to your spine helps to counteract the effects of the scoliosis pulling the spine out of alignment. The heat allows for deeper stretching, and also I think just overall helps with the pain.

If this isn't an option where you're stationed, I do know that heat, in general, gave me some pain relief. I used to wear those heat pads that you could stick to your back, and that helped me somewhat with the pain as I went through my day. Not nearly as good as yoga, but maybe worth a try?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.