Atorvastatin

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, my GP prescribed me some Atorvastatin about 7 weeks ago. Since then I've had non-stop aches and pains, mainly from waist downwards, in thighs, groin, calf muscles, even my feet. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

sorry to hear that Iris. Statins are known to cause these sorts of pains. I was on statins for 18 months, stopped them due to horrendose neck cramps that sent even worse pains into my head and cramps in my calfs. Been off them a few monthsi now and the calf cramps have stopped but I am still getting the neck and head pain in fact I have just spent another 3 days lying on the bed in agony with these head pains. There are quite a few similar stories on here as to what Statins do to people.
    • Posted

Hi Julia......I tried THREE times yesterday to reply to you but kept losing wifi....so sorry I didn't manage to get back to you thanks for your help. I didn't take my statin last night, so no difference today....my toes were even sore this morning, my bladder is overactive, I've got a dry cough too.....how can all this make anyone feel healthy? Iris

• Posted

Hi Iris,

I did have similar pain in those areas as well. It hit me at about the 5,6 week mark and shortly after that I had memory loss, confusion, vision loss and headaches coupled w vertigo. The Dr's kept telling me it couldn't be the statin atorvastatin as it has very minimal side effects. Less than 3 percent have serious side effects, I was one of the 3 percenters. I stayed on it another 4 to 5 months hoping it would get better but it only got worse. Had all kinds of tests and scans done and couldn't find the cause. I knew it was the statin and quit on my own. It took at least 5 to 6 weeks before I started to feel better and I'm still seeing improvement 9 weeks later. I'm never taking them again and will try diet/more exercise and alternative supplements if needed. You may need to try a different statin if it continues and keep a close eye on other issues cropping up like the memory loss. If that happens stop taking immediately as the Dr's will say it's not the meds. Good luck..

Scott

• Posted

Scott that is interesting about the memory loss. Boxing day, sitting at the table across from my daughter who was "eating lunch" and out of my mouth came - arnt you going to have any lunch ! That was just one of the many times that sort of thing started to happen. I thought I was going mad, I couldnt even write things down, I couldnt seem to get the words from my head onto the paper. Thank goodness these episodes have stopped since I stopped the statins. Scary things statins that is all I can say.

• Posted

Julia,

Very scary as I didn't know it was the statin causing the memory loss. It took awhile to figure out on my own as drs said it couldn't be. I would leave one room in house, go to another room to get something and would forget why I walked in there. Scary and it happened all the time. I was only on 20mg and that hit me in just 6 to 7 weeks after starting.

Scott

• Posted

I have terrible memory loss Julia..I totaly relate to what you have said...I was on 40 ml I just have had so many bad symtoms that I've lost count...still having them although I've stopped the Statins for a few weeks.Good luck..I hope things settle down for you

• Posted

Scott even though I have stopped them and the memory loss is not as bad as it was I often have times when I just cant find the word I need and then a few minuets later it pops into my head. Its very scary you start to question dementia or worse. I wish the docs had told be the risks as I would never have taken them. I hope things improve soon for you.
    • Posted

Julia...if my husband has a dr. or dentist appointment...I have to go in with him as he would not remember what they told him...this is the man who would sit beside me when we were on holiday...I was driving....and tell me which road to take and where to go ..he remembered everything....he knew how to get to a certain place and the road back....but not now...
    • Posted

Oh Lisa, I am so sorry to hear that. What do the doctors say ? has he been on statins ? 
    • Posted

Hi Julia, I do that all the time, even before statins! I put it down to my age
    • Posted

oh yes he took statins for years...they certainly have affected his memory....he even got himself tested for dementia a few years ago....and thankfully it's not that.....he stopped them about 5 or 6 years ago....but so far there's not been a great improvement...we tried co q 10 for a few months...might need to try it again....

• Posted

oh this makes me so angry lisa, I wonder how many lives have been effected by statins and how many will have long term effects. I hope the coq10 will help, I cant take it as it conflicts with other medication I take.

Lovely you are both there for each other.

• Posted

yes none of us guessed how they would affect our everyday lives when we took them.....some people get side effects right away...others like myself...get then gradually......
    • Posted

agree, I was fine for 18 months then bang it hit me with these horrendous pains.
    • Posted

My aches and pains started within the first week. I spoke to a friend today who had exactly same side effects....she stopped taking them and started buying Benecol milk, breakfast drinks and margarine spread. That brought her cholesterol down. I'm going to give those products a try!

• Posted

I have gone to low fat milk, and stopped eating cheese, apart from that I dont eat much fat. 
    • Posted

I wish my pains had started the first week, I worry that I was on them so long the damage may now be permanent. I did try Benecol in the smal breakfast packs but it didnt really lower my levels. I sure hope it helps you, I have not heard or seen the benecol milk over here. I know I should use the special margarine but I dont like the taste of it and butter is my one and only thing I find so hard to give up. I dont eat much of it and the one I buy is based on Olive Oil.

• Posted

My last GP advised eating red meat only twice a week....I might see if that helps too
    • Posted

yes anything's worth trying ..except statins

• Posted

I never could eat fat....I never ate butter or margarine...hated them....I cut all fat off meat...don't eat much red meat...maybe once a month....my downfall must be chocolate and cakes....I use semi skimmed milk....I do like cheese.but I don't eat it every day...but hey ho...they don't give me achey weak muscles.....

• Posted

I did read a reprt at one time...that your body makes x amount of cholesterol...because it needs it...and if you cut down on the cholesterol....it makes more to compensate....
    • Posted

its genetics mainly, some people have high cholesterol even if they are a vegitarian. I eat mainly chicken, Like you I remove any fat dont eat the chicken skin.
    • Posted

Hi Julia I've been the same I've stopped taking them and ime still not right...ime forgetting things all the time.and cannot get the words out properly in conversation. .I end up saying something entirely different as not to cause myself embarresment...what is this poison we have been taking?

• Posted

It is awful isnt it Carol, you open your mouth and out come the stranges of things then you have to try to find a way to cover what you have said. It is not dementia because I know what I have done it is the statins. Almost every day I have pains of some degree in my head, often so bad I retreat to the bedroom. Someone needs to be sued for what they have done and start telling people the truth so we know what we face long term.
    • Posted

I absolutely agree with you Julia..they have turned my life upside down since taking them..physicaly and mentaly..even now i have stopped them I still have all sorts going on...Sued definately...maybe there is a way because it's obviously the statins that are doing the damage as there are to many mentioning the same symtoms...which are quite a lot when having them altogether. ..it's quite scarey.wish you well Julia

• Posted

Hi Carol are you in the US ? I am in Aus I think the thing about sueing the company that makes the statins, for me, is more that it would hit the news and that way people who are not aware of what the statins might do will be able to make a more informed decision as to wether to take them or not.
    • Posted

I am in the UK and I totaly agree Julia that there should be more awareness about this poison people are encouraged to take

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.