Anyone have TVT surgery recently?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has had TVT (trans-vaginal tape) surgery recently that can share their experience. I'm 46, never been pregnant, but experiencing mild UI (withouth prolapse) that has gotten slightly worse in the past two years. 

My urologist is really gung-ho on me having TVT and initally explained it as a quick and painless procedure. However, after discussing it further with him it seems this is more involved than he initially portrayed. I am concerned about the long healing time and have heard horrible stories (some on here) about complications no one really talks about, like chronic pain. While I understand that some of these complications may be due to the older types of suspension tape and fabric used, I'm feeling more and more that I may be facing a bigger problem down the line if I go through with this. I also think that each person has wisdom about their body that is often not acknowledged by science.

Can anyone please advise?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

There's a post from yesterday from a lady who has had a TVT only a few days ago. It is a straightforward procedure nowadays and usually performed under a local anaesthetic. Recovery is quick, driving after a few weeks and very little pain or discomfort. You are usually discharged home the same day as long as you pass urine.

• Posted

I had a tvt in April (also had hysterectomy and A&P repairs) but I have to say my stress incontinence has gone. I can sneeze,cough and laugh confidently. No more pads!!! So glad I had it done. As for recovery I can't comment as I had the other procedures too. But I know 3 people who e had it done and all say it's straight forward and best thing they've done. Life changing.

Good luck in you decision making. Xx

• Posted

Hi, I'm due to have TVT, hysterectomy and posterior/anterior repair next month. How were you after the surgery? Was recovery long? But nervous so trying to get as much info as possible!

• Posted

Hi Sally. You are the first person that I've heard that has had all 3 procedures together like me. Are you in UK? I'm in north east.

It's been a long recovery. My pain wasn't too bad. More discomfort than pain. I had mine in April and just went back to work in sept (I work in a special needs school) had hoped to get back before summer hols but wasn't ready. I didn't do over this forum until about 6 wks after my op. I didn't really know what I was letting myself in for. I knew it was a big op but you still struggle with the 'do nothing' stages. My tvt has been very successful. My hysterectomy was mainly because of the extent of my prolapses but I also had endometriosis so everything was taken out and I was put on hrt after 5 days. My prolapse repairs were successful too. My recovery was pretty much straight forward. I have problems with my bowels and am waiting to see the colerectal surgeon to see what the next stage is. They have improved since op but still problematic but hoping it won't need more surgery.

Since returning to work I have really struggled. It's a hard job and I e developed a pain around pubic bone area. It feels bruised and tender to touch but bending forward makes it worse so in process of trying to have duties ammended for a bit so seeing occ health this thurs.

you have to make sure you are completely well before returning.

I wish you well in your op and recovery. Keep us posted and if any queries don't hesitate to ask. But take it easy and slow.

Fiona. X

• Posted

Hi Fiona,

Would you believe I'm in north east too! Was yours done in North Tyneside?

This is really useful information, thank you for sharing. I'm having a rectocele repair which is the cause of my bowel problems.

Were you in hospital for long?

Sx

• Posted

Eeee really??? I was in south Tyneside hospital. Small world.

I was in hospital for 5 days. I had a slight temp and was put on IV antibiotics but bloods didn't show any infection. Then when catheter came out my bladder wasn't emptying properly. Ended up going home with it in for a few days and then went back to have removed. I had trouble passing wind or having a bm despite given suppositories whilst in hospital. But when I went back to have catheter removed my consultant popped in to see me on his rounds and prescribed me an enema and by gum I needed it. Haha. Don't get constipated. 😩

Fi. X

• Posted

Very small world!

Did you have much pain straight after surgery?

• Posted

Well I was on IV morphine for first 24hrs then tramadol. My pain felt like strong periodpain or mild labour pains. I was very tender when I wiped after peeing. I had to dab not wipe. Sitting was also uncomfortable. I was able to walk ok but some woman found this hard. I was out at shops beginning of 2nd wk looking for leggings as none of my clothes fit due to swollen tummy. So make sure you have very loose or larger clothing to wear. When In house and hospital I'd bought cheap nighties as you'll have a catheter At first so nighties are better.

• Posted

That's great advice, I wasn't sure whether I'd need nighties or pyjamas, thank you.

Was the hysterectomy laparoscopic?

• Posted

Part laproscopic and rest vaginally. Have they said whether you will go onto hrt?

I have private messages you. X

• Posted

I had TVT done in mid September and I'm still recovering. Surgery was out patient, able to go to work the very next day. I was unprepared for the recovery time period. I also did not realize I would have incisions and bleed vaginally. I bled quite a lot for a week and a half. Right above my pubic bone I had 2 small incisions that were glued closed in hair and all, which was very uncomfortable. I was bruised right above my pubic bone and extremely sore. I had a very difficult time working the next day as I have a desk job working from home but was unable to sit without having quite a bit of uncomfortableness. I would not say I had a lot of pain just very uncomfortable and sore. I think the full recovery takes the whole 4-6 weeks. On a bright side, I can now sneeze, cough, laugh, and not pee on myself, so for me it was worth it!

• Posted

Hi Fiona, I don't have a private message from you. I'm new to this so may be lost!

• Posted

Hi Fiona, it's on 28th Nov. Getting a bit nervous now!

• Posted

I'm due to have this done in the morning. Really been worrying about it....so good to read some of the positives 😊

• Posted

Hi Sally x Op went ok....4 days since I had it now. So far so good, just trying to rest the best I can. The only small problem I have is it feels difficult to empty my bladder properly ? But I have read that others have the same problem x
    • Posted

Hi Karen, glad it went ok. I've heard the bladder emptying can be an issue for a while afterwards. I've been told I'll be needing a catheter. Hope your recovery goes well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.