Ibs

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can you have IBS and only get constipation occasionally? My stomach hurts all the time even after having normal bowel movement

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have no idea. But let me tell you something. My son was suffering from constipation and he cried all the time, even when it was loose, his pediatrician explained me what was causing the pain, I didn't believe it at first, but made sense, and later my son's GI confirmed it.

The pediatrician told me that due the constant constipation his rectum enlarged on its sides, forming something like a bag, we're his poop was storing every day, and even when he wasn't constipated, he will feel like, because the poop couldn't come out, I hope you understand what I'm trying to say with my English, but he put my son on mirelax for at least 1 year, and my job was making sure my son poop like a apple sauce, sorry for the comparison, but that's exactly what the doctor said to me. Other doctor told me, my son had anxiety and I should take him to the shrink, etc. But it worked, I did it for 8 months. My son was 7 years at this time, he is doing great now.

You should eat lot of fiber, if it doesn't help, see a doctor, and do your food diary too.

Good luck.

• Posted

When I got IBS, I started with persistent constipation that kept coming back weekly, then I got constant stomach pain and then loose stools.  Usually, IBS is associated with a change in bowel habits and , a bowel movement helps the pain.
  • Posted

Hello Amy, Yes you can have constipation only with IBS this is what i have. I also have diverticulosis and this causes problems with the bowels also. My stomach hurts after i have a bowel movement and this can go on for a couple of hours or so. Each person With IBS will to some degree all have different symptoms but most will say how painful it can be. I take slippery elm capsules twice a day and a omega 3 capsule also. On advice from a homepathic doctor i have just started seeing i now have started taking a good digestive enzyme capsule it cost £30 for 60 capsules and i take one with with my dinner in the evening and so far my symptoms have improved somewhat.I thought i would try a homepathic doctor as i have been seeing conventional doctors on and off for years and given low doses of antidepressants as they are meant to help with the pain. But i do not feel they are doing much so i will try anything alternative to help with this condition. Have you seen a doctor? if not you should go and see one and hopefully he will help you.Good Luck and hope you will start to feel better soon. wink 

• Posted

Yes, that is possible. Symptoms may fluctuate all the time or they may stay the same--it depends on the individual. This is why IBS is such a tough condition, because it's largely subjective. 

For me, I have IBS-C (accompanied by bloating, cramps), but even when I poop, I get the feeling that I didn't empty everything out. I also have to strain quite hard to produce a bm at all, even though it's always soft. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.