Postitvie biopsy for inflammation..?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey, just looking for advice or anyone who can relate!

I have had symptoms on going since May, constipation, sometimes diahrea, anemic, floic acid deficient, pain in my right lower side which has gotten worse recently and is also felt in my back nearly 24/7.

I got refereed go a gastroenterologist who done a endoscopy and colonoscopy last week, which both looked normal. Got my biopsy results tonight and he said I have inflammation in my small bowel but it looked ok on the scope so now I am having a MRI to see if the part they can't see on the colonoscopy is inflamed and to check for any narrowing etc! I have lost 5lb in 2 weeks as well, I don't have any apetite anymore and my pain is so much worse than it was!

Anyone had this? Crohn's possibly?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Dear Emma

It really sounds as if you have had the misfortune of picking up a rather nasty gastric bug, which is causing the inflammation and the pain. Sometimes this sort of thing sets off either colitis or crohns, but you could do without that happening to you. With the small bowel. The fact that sometimes you are blocked up and other times you have diarrea could suggest that you have a narrowing somewhere. You don't however mention whether you are suffering from wind, which would give you a very painful side and sometimes the pain of this will go through to the back. Because you can get blocked with traspped wind, think how a baby cries when he has terrible wind and you will realise why it is hurting you so much. I really hope

and pray that you do not have Crohns, it really is a horrible cronic illness, and if you can do anything at all to stop it turning into something more serious. Someone who had been suffering very badly recently with her tummy made herself a lot better by consuming live yoghurt to get her tummy back to normal and perhaps you might find it helpful. A lot of Crohns sufferers experience a lot with allergies, so hopefully this will not happen to you.

Best wishes and I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Sheila 

• Posted

First of all I am sorry to hear what you are going through at thre moment. I have suffered from crohns for 52yrs so have some experience. I have been using these forums for around two years and still cannot believe how long it is taking for people like your self to get diagnosed.  Having said that there are numorous complaints of the gut that offer up similar symptoms. But it appears that even though you have had a enoscopy that can check out the upper part of your tract and colonoscpy that covers the lower part, it can still miss out some of the tract and this is why in some case diagnosis is slow. As I have mentioned before on these forums they have  more recently introduced a new procedure where you are given a capsule that has a built in camera that when swallowed passes through the whole of your gastric tract taking photo;s as it does so meaning that no area is missed. It might be worth enquiring about this procdure.  As I again  have said before when replying to simlar requests I was diagnosed reasonably quickly back in 1965. I became very ill and they came to the conclusion that I was suffering from apppenisitis. Which I was then admitted into hospital to have my appendix removed, it was during this operation that It was dicoverd that I was also suffering from crohns which at that time I had never heard of and I think that the doctor's themselves were only just learning about. There are a lot of new treatments available now although not a cure as yet they do reduce the need for surgery which unfortunately was tooo late for me.

I hope that you soon get a diagnoses so that you can start getting the appropriat treatment. Keep me informed as to your progress

• Posted

Hi Emma. what decndor said about the camera pill is a good idea even if nothing found on mri. i am having one next week following an mri few weeks ago as crohns is suspected in my small bowel too. it is perfectly normal to have mri 1st, as they need to check there is no obstruction/narrowing in your small bowel otherwise a camera pill may get stuck. mri is also useful in diagnosing crohns, but not always, which is why a camera pill procedure usually follows an mri to be conclusive. xx
    • Posted

Hey, thanks for your response, when you had your MRI did they find out anything further relating to if you had chrons?
    • Posted

Sadly no Emma. i say sadly, as i just want a "reason" for my ongoing symptoms that are ruling my life at present.  i do not want to be ill, but at least if they find the "cause" of ongoing symptoms after a "within normal limits" colonoscopy, they can treat me with some sort of med, then i can go back to work, go shopping, go out for a meal etc again like normal people can. my consultant said there was nothing abnormal on my mri report, so i hope they find something on the capsule camera endoscopy this week or i don't know what I'll do/what the future holds for me. i am just taking one step at a time, not what iffing about the future yet, as they may or may not find something to explain my ongoiing symptoms. it keeps me sane thinking like this. xx

• Posted

You sound the same as me! I just want a answer too. I want to get back on with life! Hope the MRI will help me and I won't have to wait too long to have it done sad

Hope you get some answers soon as well! Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.