Skipped heartbeats

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello all,

I had my ablation on July 21. It was successful and my doctor said everything looked great. I had a few flutters and short-lived palpatations a few weeks after, but overall felt pretty good.

This last week I started feeling skipped heartbeats on a regular basis. I'd say every 5 minutes or so. I am also feeling dizzy/light-headed. I called my dr on Wednesday and they are supposed to be mailing a monitor out to me to wear for 48 hrs. I haven't received it yet...

Has anyone else experienced skipped beats after an ablation? It's quite unnerving and annoying too. I just don't feel that great and was hoping by now I would be. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I haven't had an ablation yet, but I've read reports of dozens of people who have. And nearly all of them have said they've had 2-4 weeks of little missed beats like that. Sounds like the heart is pretty irritable for a while post ablation.

• Posted

I read that too. I just didn't expect so many skipped beats, especially after 2 months of feeling pretty good. Just feels like I'm taking steps backwards. Thank you for your response. When is your ablation?

• Posted

Hi Rachael, for the first month or two after my ablation I kept getting sensations telling me SVT was starting. But it never actually happened.

From what I've read here that's quite common.

Over four years later I haven't had even one SVT episode.

Just hope it proves to be the same for you.

• Posted

I sure hope mine go away like yours did. Hopefully I get some answers after wearing the monitor. I am so glad your ablation was successful! It gives me hope.
  • Posted

Hi,

?I had a short run of SVT about 3 weeks after my ablation; it only lasted about 5 mins instead of the usual several hours but it did worry me.  After that I had a few more short attacks of a raised heartbeat of around 90rpm but they became fewer and I haven't had one now for a few weeks.

?The heart takes time to heal properly and we sufferers are more tuned in to what is happening than people who have never had SVT so we are probably hyper-aware every time our heart beat is raised.  Have patience and hopefully things will setle down.

• Posted

You are right. I am definitely more aware of my heartbeats. My doctor told me the very same thing. It just makes me anxious. I appreciate your response. I hope things continue to go well with your healing!
    • Posted

As far as I can remember all my heart medication was stopped for good the day I had the ablation. Was this the same for you, or are you still taking something?

• Posted

I was not on medication. I was taking prescription iron though. I'm wondering if I should go back on that...

• Posted

I'd talk to my doctor first about the iron.

I was really wondering if you might be having prolonged withdrawal symptoms from whatever SVT medication you were on, but that can't be a factor if you weren't taking any!

Hopefully the holter monitor will get to the root of it wink

• Posted

Hiya, 

I'm 17 years old and in the last year and a half I have had three ablutions along with open heart surgery, and after every single ablation I had a raised heart beat for a while, and a few skipped beats a day. I had my last one the same day as you and I'm currently experiencing the same symptoms, as well as a very high resting hr. My cardiologist assured me that fluttered beats and raised hr are common symptoms post ablation. Not very helpful but just letting you know I'm currently experiencing the same thing! 

• Posted

Sorry to hear you've had such a difficult time and hoping that the last ablation will cure the SVT.

• Posted

I had my first ablation when I was 18 , 11 years ago and was fine after that. 6 months ago now I'm

29 and Svt started again now with vtach . Had to have an ablation to make sure I didn't need a pacemaker cause the vtach but he did find Svt and did an ablation. It's a month after my abliation and I'm still feeling fast heart racing . It could just be the healing process .

• Posted

My skipped heartbeats have ended! I don't know how but I'm not complaining. Perhaps my heart is still healing and it was just something I had to go through. I appreciate everyone's feedback. I enjoy these forums.

• Posted

I had an ablation in Jan this year. The first week was horrible and i thought i had made a horrible decision. Months on now and i am still getting flutters and thumps like an episode is about the start but it doesn't. This last week it has gotten worse but i am also highly stressed and hope it is just because of that. Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

I am sorry you are experiencing these symptoms. I hope they decrease quickly. I believe mine are brought on by stress as well. It's hard to relax when you're having those flutters. Praying yours gets better with time!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.