Ovarian Dermoid Cyst:

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 18 and in July I found out I had a cantaloupe sized dermoid cyst in my pelvis and stomach which stemmed from my right ovary. I had surgery August 31st and it was absolutely terrifying but I did it! Since my surgery I have had severe depression and random thoughts of suicide. I have an extensive history of depression and anxiety but never like this. I either feel over emotional and upset or happy as can be, but the mood swings are constant. I'm wondering if this could be a hormonal thing since I had my right ovary and fallopian tube removed and if anyone else has experienced this? I'm unsure of what to do.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Tit's not long since your surgery, you're still recovering, both mentally and physically.

I think from what you say, the whole thing has just taken a lot out of you.

Give it a couple more weeks, and if you're still feeling down, go and see your doctor and explain everything.

Any op takes a lot of getting over, you're not alone.x.

• Posted

Meag,

I had a recurrance of depression after my surgery. I have suffered from it ever since I hit puberty. Yes it was influenced by hormones. I had suicidal thoughts in my early 20s but they did not recur.

I did morn my loss (total hysterectomy) and that lasted a while. However, since I have fought depression my entire life I asked my Dr. for medication. I had used it once before when I had a severly bad episode. I helped alot. I only used temporarily and weaned off after about 6 months. When I felt that crushing wall begin to form I asked for help and it helped. I felt more physically able to walk and get out which definitely helped. Once I was glad I woke up in the mornings I knew it was time to wean off.

I know how dark it seems but there is hope. You have been through a lot and it's only been a couple of weeks. Losing an ovary can be more difficult than the actual surgery. The depression is physically debilitating as you know.

By the third week I started to feel physically better. Able to get out and walk which will help. But you are stronger than you know. You functioned with all the symptoms of the cyst before you knew it was there. You worked through the terror of the surgery and are now recovering. Life can be scary, especially at 18. But it can be thrilling too.

Don't let the depression win, fight back get help to fight it. I didn't learn until my 30s how much counseling and medication can help. I learned to fight back instead of just letting it take over. The weight began to lift and I began to find joy again. Once I started to feel the pull return I learned techniques to clear my mind. I started looking at it as a beast I had to fight. It still shows up sometimes but I have learned how not to let it in.

I took time but it's so worth it.

There is no shame in getting help. Our bodies are complicated and our actions affect our hormones which affect how we feel. Your hormones took a hit when one ovary was removed. It will take some time for the other one to step up and take over but it will. In the mean time seek help. You deserve to enjoy your life, not just endure it. Be kind to you.

xx

• Posted

I'm sorry you're suffering. Unfortunately, the removal of an ovary can disrupt hormone production which can have serious consequences on mood and many other aspects of health. Hopefully, this is only temporary and your other ovary will "pick up the slack." If it doesn't, you may need help in the form of medication (hormones or an anti-depressant) and/or counseling. Of course, please don't hesitate to seek help NOW if necessary.

I became severely depressed and suicidal after my ovaries were removed (unnecessarily at that). Since I don't have ovaries, I chose to go the hormone route versus anti-depressants. But I had many more  symptoms besides depression.   

I hope this is all soon behind you. Don't hesitate to post hear for support. Hugs.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are feeling so down sad I had my surgery only a couple weeks before you and I was told I may loose both ovaries which was so distressing. I woke from the anaesthetic to the news that both had been saved, and cried uncontrollably for about 3 hours! I am young also, only 23 and it was a huge shock to find out I needed such a major surgery when I felt healthy. It's a lot to go through. I would talk to your doctor about how you're feeling. Yes the other ovary should cope mostly fine doing all the work and it's early days, but if you are feeling depressed/suicidal you need to talk to your doctor now. Don't wait. Sending lots of love and hugs xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.