Another new rosacea patient

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 60-years-old and after caring for my skin with good natural products for the last 15 years, was proud of my flawless skin.  Then in July this year, bang: a nasty rash and spots!!  My GP thought it was contact dermatitis and I was put on hydrocortisone cream, which initially helped a bit but dried out my skin completely.  I then changed to using just jojoba oil for cleansing and moisturising which seemed to help and certainly moisturised but then it got worse again.  This week I was diagnosed with rosacea!  I'm now on anticiotics (Lycimor) for 6 months (I'm also taking probiotics to take care of my gut) and have to apply Skinoren Cream every day twice a day.  I've also been recommended La Roche Posay Rosaliac AR Intense for cleansing and Dermablend Camouflage foundation (I've been using mineral powder).  I was told I don't need moisturiser, which, at my age, I'm not really happy with.  I tried using the light Rosaliac moisturiser but it does seem to aggravate the skin.  In hindsight I've always flushed easily and have had dry eyes, which was attributed to my Graves disease, but perhaps I had underlying rosacea all along! Much appreciate any comments/advice, thanks,  Stefania

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm in your boat too. Was just diagnosed with rosacea and ocular rosacea. I had noticed the slightest blushing but attributed it to the hot weather. It was the red dry eyes that sent me to the opthalmologist- who then sent me to the dermatologist. I'm on doxycycline 40 mg for six weeks at least. What kind of probiotic are you taking?

I should really do the same.

I just turned 50 this year and like yourself, never had a problem with my skin. Always had compliments. 😳

• Posted

I'm on a probiotic from the health shop but might to get one on prescription which might be a bit cheaper, as I'm on antibiotics for 6 months!

• Posted

I've had Rosacea all my life. About once a year I'll get, what I thought, was an eye infection and after seeing my Optomistrist, was told it was due to Rosacea called Episcleritis - which takes 3-4 weeks to clear up. Rosacea never really bothered me until I started going through hormone regulation hell (doseage changed 6 times in 1-1/2 years). Last year I started noticing I would wake up with one cheek beat red, then after a few weeks it gradually went to the other cheek too. This happened daily and freaked me out, seemed I was always beat red. Went to my dermatologist to be told it was indeed Rosacea again. I started doing a lot of research and come to find out if you're getting too much hormone, it can affect the Rosacea. I started gradually backing back down and reducing by only 1 mg it went back to normal. I've heard about Dermablend and I intend to get some soon. Good luck to both of us -

• Posted

Hi stefania

I was diagnosed with rosacea a few months ago after beginning to flush badly during physical activity. For me the podules and pustules are the problem. My GP seems reluctant to give me antibiotics and discovering my triggers are proving difficult.

Like you, I also took pride in having a blemish free complexion so I understand your plight. I use green people scent free range which is also free from essential oils which aggravate my skin. Persevere with seeking solutions to your problems and remember you are not alone with this horrible condition.

All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.