Elon Nail Conditioner

Posted , 2 users are following.

My dermatologist recommeded Elon Nail Conditioner for everyday nail health. It worked well, but I forgot about it and it sat around for a few years. The other day I used it. It had yellowed greatly but the insructions said to stir any yellow film on top of the cream back in. About 3 days later, my nails starting hurting and the skin around them starting peeling! The skin under my nails thickened and hardened. I have ezcema already so I thought that I had developed a reaction to some gel polish I had used the week prior. I cut off the nails and have been treating them with ciclopirox, my ezcema medication. Now, my nails are raised off the nailbed and are almost like rolling upwards! The skin surrounding the nails is peeling, very rugged and sharp and catches on everything I touch. The skin underneath my nails is much improved but still painful. Okay, after all that explanation, my question is this: Does anyone think I got an infection from the Elon, seeing as it was old, or could I be having an allergic reaction to the gel polish? Has anyone ever experienced the symptoms I am? Thanks for any advice.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It seems unlikely that you got an infection just from rubbing conditioner on your nails. The short time frame of 3 days and the strong reaction of your skin might indicate that you are allergic to a product that you applied (maybe the gel polish you mentioned). 

You could do a patch test to find out if you have an allergy. Just apply a tiny amount of gel on your inner arm (on an area the size of a small coin). Leave it on for 2 days (without washing it off) and monitor the skin for any redness. 

If you are allergic it is important to keep the list of ingredients to avoid using a similar product in the future. 

• Posted

Thanks for the information, danR. I will do the patch test you recommended. BTW, how long does it take for an allergic reaction and/or fungal infection to appear after use of a product?
    • Posted

It depend on how severe your allergy is. An allergic reaction (visible hives, tingling sensation, itching or stinging of the skin) can appear within minutes after applying the product . Typically the face and scalp are more sensitive. But it can also take longer (hours to 1-2 days).

A fungal infection of the nail is a slowly progressing disease. It is usually preceded by a fungal infection of the surrounding skin or by trauma to the nail.

Also it is much more likely to affect the toe nails. Many times the patients do not even realise that they have an infection until the nail becomes discoloured or starts to thicken.   

Btw, ciclopirox is also an antifungal medication. There are laquers containing ciclopirox. They are used to treat (early stage) fungal infections of the nail. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.