Methotrexate and mouth sores?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Dr listed mouth sores as a side effect, and I've had a few on the side of my tongue since i started. But i also recently had 2 on my soft inner tissue of my lip. Naturally i start freaking out.

I've had my blood tested for herpes which came back negative but these look like cold sores on the inside line of my lip.

My question here is, can these mouth sores from the methotrexate show up on your lips as well?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I don't know anything about the mouth sores. What I will say is only take this drug if you absolutly have to and have exhausted all natural treatments.

• Posted

I've tried everything from diet change, essential oils, all natural and hypoallergenic hygeine products....you name it sad

I just don't know what to do anymore.

And the side effects of this crap make it difficult to decide whether it's worth it.

Only reason i stick with it is because my psoriasis has started to subside.

Sorry to sound like a downer, i truly thank you for your input lynda! smile

• Posted

Hi, Like you, I suffer with a couple of sores/ulcers on the inside of my lower lip and these have been persistent no matter an increase in folic acid or a reduction in the dose of Methotrexate over the years.  Sometimes they are troublesome depending on different food eaten.  However I don't think they will appear on the outside.  I have just learned to live with them as the benefits I have gained far outweigh the negatives.    Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Hollz

Don't despair! Mouth ulcers were one of the first side effects that I got. Somebody told me a drop of tea tree oil in a mouthwash lid top diluted with water, gargle 3 times a day a mine were gone within 24 hours. I see no difference to 'dabbing' the solution in the ones on your lips. You did right to go to the doctors but everything ruled out I think maybe it's just spread a little. You have to remember on this drug open wounds should be looked after carefully as we are more liable to infection. Maybe you touched your lip after feeling one of the ulcers in your mouth. You can also get 'Biotene' mouthwash but personally the tea tree oil works better for me.

As for the drug itself it is vile.... But the illness is vile too. Every time I was taken off the MTX due to infection I was 'yippee I haven't got to take it for a while' by the time the infection was clearing up I was begging to be out back on it as I'd forgotten how bad it was without it.

Only you can decide. I wanted to come off it after 3 months but my Rheumy persuaded me to just try another 3 and I've been on it ever since.

Yes I hate it even though the side effects have lessened but I hate my illness even more.

I wish you luck

Lisa

😊??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.