Plebotomy or venesection question

Posted , 5 users are following.

How many venesections would you needed to get your haemocrit down to 45 or 42 if your haemocrit starts at 51? Or is everyone different? Jxx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I think it varies fron person to person. Ie , i was border line , though had a pint off but still feel the same, though that should have fixed the problem but it didnt.
  • Posted

Everyone is different..I got from 56 to 42 just by phlebotomies (I live in America)

but the most important thing that I did to lower that number was to STOP eating

foods with iron such as red meats, spinach and kale etc.  My onocologist wanted

me to take iron pills and I stopped that too.  I am not tired as one would expect with lack of iron after phlebotomies...mind over matter.  I drink plenty of water too and walk..since i had a probelm with leg clots (DVT).  I am a senior and have phlebotomies everytime my number is over 44.  Common sense and prayer is also very important.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Julia

It does depend very much on the individual. My HCT was originally at 60 and I had to have venesection every other day initially for 2 weeks. It then came down to 53 and I then had venesection every week for a month and then every fortnight until it was below the 45 mark. This took just under 3 months. However, my HCT quickly rose again, which meant I was having to have venesections every 2 weeks just to keep it in check. During this time, my symptoms felt worse. Whereas I was having migraine with aura at least every week or every fortnight, I started to get them every day, Then, things started to stabilise. My venesections became monthly and now, although I still have monthly blood checks, my last venesection was over 2 months ago. Although I still suffer from fatigue, I have not had any migraines or even headaches come to that since the 28th May!!!! Furthermore, I have not had to use my asthma inhaler for over 3 months either, which suggests to me my breathlessness was due to PRV and perhaps I don’t actually have asthma. My plethora has gone, so I no longer have a permanent sun tan.  So for me, venesection wasn’t an instant fix and it hasn’t cured all my symptoms but I am certainly in a much better place than I was at the beginning of the year.

Hope this helps

Keith

• Posted

Hi Keith, Thank you your so helpful and everyone else is too, thank you so much, if I hadn't of found you guys I would not know what to ask him Thursday. The thing is I'm probably jumping the gun asking about phlebotomies at this stage without a proper diagnosis yet, I'm JAK2 negitive which pulls away from been primary, however I've all the symptoms of primary and he was surprised when the test came back negitive, hence why he sent me for a CT, he did mention a oxygen test which that was my other question, I've a lot to talk to him about regarding other tests, I've not had an EPO, ferritin, Vitamin B12 or the other JAK exon 12 test, or even a BMB, I first went to my GP two years ago with symptoms of sweats, dizziness, itching and most of all tiredness, thinking it was the menoporse and every time my full blood count has shown high, but my menoporse negitive so I'm obviously got symptoms while my bloods are this high and it can't be the menoporse yet, I'm going to ask him if my ferritin and vitamin B12 are okay, would it be possible to have a venesection to see if I feel better, however reading your posts its rather more complex than I first thought, me thinking I'll have one or two and I'll be fine, I bet he's not that comfortable with giving me one yet, I'm just impatient I quess and wanting that label, I'll let you all know how I get on, on Thursday. Going off track now two years ago I was in Portugal, lapping up the sun etc...with a few girlfriends, one morning I woke up at my right eye was bright red, wasn't sore but I thought I had an infection, went to the chemist in Portugal, she said I'd got a hemorage in my eye and sent me to hospital, an eye doctor told me this can show I have something wrong with my blood and as soon as I get home I should get my bloods checked. Of course I didn't because my eye improved and I felt fine, think my body then was trying to tell me something. Xx

• Posted

Hi Julia

You are very welcome. We are all here for each other and that’s the great thing about this forum.

Perhaps the best way to approach the conversation when seeing your Doctor is to ask him if you are at any immediate “health” risk.  Maybe ask the specific question;  is my blood too thick, would having a venesection help my blood flow better?  I.e. can he treat and help alleviate your symptoms until a diagnosis is determined. Venesection is very much like giving blood so it’s not like it would have an adverse effect on your health providing of course you only donate every so often and within the guidelines given by the blood donation team. So, if your Doctor says no, you can always donate blood in the meantime. Once you have given blood, it is checked/screened in the laboratory before it is ever used/given to another patient. If they were unhappy with the readings, they would simply discard the blood you had donated.

Keith

• Posted

That's really good advice, as I don't want to come across pushy, are you in the UK Kieth? Because I'm sure in the UK they won't even draw it off you if it's too thick or too little iron, they check it first before drawing it off, but it's worth a try if he says no. Xx

• Posted

Hi Julia

Yes, I am in the UK. They may attempt to take your blood but if it is too thick and not “flowing” as it should, they may stop the procedure. If so, that gives you a bit more ammunition to go back to your Doctor with! I would be surprised if they tested your blood prior to you donating it as it would have to go to the hospital laboratory (usually the Pathology Dept) for processing. Even for urgent/priority cases, this usually still takes 1 hour before the results come back. I think (I could be wrong) that they will test it afterwards. Putting the blood “donation” aside, if your Doctor does give the go ahead for a “venesection”, the nurse will most certainly take your blood even if it takes a while to drain a pint (or less) from you as they will want to start the process of thinning it as well as reducing your red cell count. The first few times they too mine, it took ages to fill the bag up. Thick blood can lead to strokes, heart attacks, pulmonary embolisms (as I have experienced) so they will be determined!! – That’s not to scare you, if your Doctor believes your health is at serious risk, he/she will take the necessary action. Take comfort, as although the JAK2V617F came back negative and you are still looking for answers……….you are on their radar.

Let us know how you get on.

Kind regards

Keith

• Posted

I will Keith thank you, it took them half an hour to fill a small test tube for just a full blood count and JAK2 test six weeks ago, it ran so slow ! Not to mention I have deep veins and that was another major task trying to find one and four goes later they managed to get blood out out of my hand (I don't know the results of my full blood count as he rang to ask how I was feeling, as they were slightly higher than the last one in July, that was before my JAK2 negitive test results came back) so he was obviously concerned then, but after my JAK2 test came back negitive he didn't seem as worried. Anyway I'll speak to him Thursday and it's not long now and I'll let you know thanks again xx

• Posted

You should be drinking a lot of water...and probably be on a daily baby

aspirin.  I am a senior and have gone from a 55 to 40..I took me 2 years

of common sense and devout prayer,  Have faith...I also have 3 other

cancers which are now in remission.  If I can do it in my senior years.

you can too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.