Gained a lot of weight on venlafaxine

Posted , 49 users are following.

I've been on venlafaxine for 6 months and seem to be steadily gaining more and more weight. Before starting antidepressants, I was one of those people whose weight never fluctuated by more than 5 lbs at most- I'd consistently been the same weight from my mid teens. Started sertraline 2 years ago- no weight gain, but it wasn't effective. Switched to citalopram after a few months, and that was where the weight gain gradually started, although my diet was pretty much the same. However, it was when I changed to venlafaxine that it really started to go up.

In about 1.5 years, I've gained 2 stone. I don't look or feel myself anymore, my clothes don't fit, and whilst the venlafaxine is really helping, this weight gain is getting to me a lot. I did a BMI check this morning and for or the first time ever, I'm now at 25, in the overweight category.

I know I can't completely attribute it to the medication, as I also used to run a lot and haven't kept this up regularly over the past year. However, there were previously periods where I'd stopped running for a month or two and my weight wouldn't change at all. I've mentioned it to my CPN who insists it's not the medication.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is it the medication, or am I fooling myself?

1 like, 58 replies

58 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I came off Ven a year ago and have lost two stone since, I'm now back on it but am determined not to gain weight. Unfortunately it's become a bit of an obsession and I barely eat at all. It does make you gain weight which doesn't help with feeling better x

• Edited

Hello,

I was on Ven for approximately 16 years and the weight gradually crept up, despite healthy eating and at time, quite intense exercise (1 hour + per day).  I gained about 30-35 lbs. over the years.  At the time, I didn't really dwell on it because I was getting older and thought it just was more difficult to lose, the older I got.   But, I decided to taper off the ven a couple of years ago, and have not taken it (or any other prescription drugs) for  the last 15 months.  For me, the weight loss was almost immediate.  Within the first several months I had lost 80% of the weight I'd gained over the years.  I was surprised because I had never connected the original weight gain to the ven, but later, after reading numerous posts I realized that was what had caused it!  To be fair, I have also read some posts where people did not experience that at all.  However, I do believe weight gain is a very common side effect of this drug.  Also fatigue. On weekends I used to feel I needed to take long naps to get enough rest after the work week, which, of course didn't help with exercising!  That is frustrating that your doctor seems to not be familiar with side effects of this drug.  I have found that throughout this journey, and it has been quite alarming to me how little is actually known/shared about these drugs by doctors prescribing them.  Sorry for a long-ish answer to a short question, but all the best to you!

• Posted

I've been on 150 for 6 weeks and am a complete zombie, off to see doc tomorrow to see what to do

• Edited

Anne1968, I hope they have a solution for you.  I was pretty much okay while taking ven (other than fatigue and weight gain) but as I started tapering off, I had a whole huge host of symptoms that I had to go through, some of which I am still experiencing..  I've seen some posts where people describe being off this drug for a while and going back on and it doesn't seem like it is easy to pick up where they  left off, e.g. there is a stabilization period or their body just doesn't adjust as well the second time around.  I hope your doctor can offer some insight tomorrow! Take care!

• Posted

I was on it for about 20 years but doc had me come off a year ago to swop to Sertraline, what a nightmare! I haven't been right since and really didn't want to go back on. If the tiredness doesn't go I'll be coming off it. I don't think it helps that I'm so angry with my GP for leaving me on it and never suggesting I wean off.

• Posted

I know what you mean.  I actually needed it for maybe the first 2-3 years I was on it due to life situations at the time, but my doctor (who I otherwise consider excellent) never inquired whether I felt I could stop, just kept filling prescriptions for lo those many years.  There never seemed to be a convenient time to stop.  When I become alarmed due to some cognitive decline after taking it for over 15 years, he said "That's a hard one to stop. I don't write new prescriptions for that one any more due to those difficulties."  Well. Thank you very much, that makes me feel great.  I did reduce from 75 to 37.5, stayed on that dose for 7-8 months, and then did about a 8-9 month taper off 37.5.  It was not good, but worst part for me is after 15 months off, cognitive impairment continues and is worsening. Affects every aspect of my life--work--social interactions.  Really discouraging.  I understand from reading other sites that this can be a side affect of long term usage, but I was really hoping that once I stopped it would gradually improve.  Seems we are caught in a Catch 22 here.  Hoping you get some solutions from your doctor...

• Posted

All I hear is 'well you've tolerated it all this time so it's ok' I didn't realise how numb and tired it made me until I stopped it. I'm not even sure if my current depression is me or from coming off it too quick. I've spent the year trying Ven, cymbalta and mirtazapine with no relief from depression, I've also got anxiety and ADHD which I take meds for. The doctors don't realise how bad it is when they give you a new prescription and say see you in a month, it's just like torture x

• Posted

Yes, very difficult to sort it all out.  I feel the same way, wondering what is actually causing what symptom.  Thank goodness, at least, for the internet and boards like these where people all over can share symptoms, comments and support.  I know I would feel even worse if I hadn't had these resources.  Take care.

• Posted

With hindsight I should have reinstated the Ven last year but I don't know then what I do now! A full year of torment with no end in sight x

• Edited

I put on weight but I think it was mainly antipsychotics, not the ven. I was well into the overweight BMI category. I am now on a diet and I am losing the weight fast. I am on 300mg ven. I have 1 stone to lose before I am back into the healthy weight category and I am sure I can get there soon. Not saying ven does not cause weight gain, however I believe it is possible to fight against it.

BW, BM.

• Posted

hello, hope you are still reading this and that you were successful with your diet.

i have suddenly put on a lot of weight since i went on ven so would welcome your suggestions.

many thanks,

• Edited

After 8.5 years I have gained 6 stones. Not everyone has the weight gain issue but many of us do. My CPN said you will lose weight but it'll be slow, that's nonsense for me, exercising every day, fewer calories and I am still unrecognizable. My weight is now affecting my mood as I was never overweight before, I rarely look in the mirror it's distressing, I look years older than I am, this drug saved me but I hate how it's made me look.

• Posted

hi, i am in the same situation.

My weight has never changed since i was 20 and i have been on medication since then, but suddenly i am fat face and body which is really depressing. i dont know if this is the best forum but i would welcome suggestions on diet etc.

thanks

• Posted

Try intermittent fasting but be vigilant. Finish eating at 7pm and don't eat again until 11am. Black tea or coffee is okay. Just make sure you go 16 hours without food. Adjust the times to suit yourself. If you can't do that reduce carbs to less than 30gms per day. Both work for me.

• Edited

Since being on Venlofaxine for night sweats I have gained at least 3 stone. Like you; they say it’s not the drug just me eating too much. I am so angry that no healthcare worker will admit the truth. We know our own bodies, what we eat and how we feel. I Know it’s down to the drug. Not only that but I suffered the most awful withdrawal symptoms when I ran out of tablets. I am now coming off them slowing and will hope that the weight will start to come off. I hate myself looking like I do it’s just not me and never has been. Keep strong and know you are right! 
    • Posted

Hello Linda,

I am please interested to know if you have succeed to lose the weight or not. I stopped effexor 3 weeks ago and i am still not losing anything.

Thanks a lot

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.