Constant pain from ovarian cyst

Posted , 3 users are following.

I went into the ER last weekend because I woke up with severe lower abdominal pain on my right side. Initially, they thought it was appendicitis but after doing blood work, a CT, and an ultrasound, the doctor stated that I had excess fluid in that area which was the result of a ruptured ovarian cyst.

While I understand that ovarian cysts are very common, my pain has been a constant nuisance and is often painful enough to prevent me from doing or focusing on certain activities in my daily routine. The pain is the worst in the morning and presents itself again at night, but tends to be manageable during the daytime. I have been taking 600mg ibuprofen every 6 hours and using heat pads, but this doesn't seem to be effective many times.

Can anyone offer me suggestions to deal with the pain?

Also, is anyone able to give me an estimate of how long the fluid will take toreasorb?

I really appreciate it - thanks!

-Victoria

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I don't understand why they didn't give you packets I got bored and they told me to take 800mg of ibuprofen but I went the other night and they prescribed me Valium which has been helping a ton so maybe go back and ask for something for pain.

• Posted

Naproxen is the only medication that helped us for cyst rupture pain, menstruation pain and ovulation pain.

We were getting sick of constantly developing 3cm luteal blood filled cysts and went on the Levlen bc pill, that prevents NEW formation of luteal blood filled cysts and was a blessing, peace of that.

Once other issues (severe abdominal pain anyway, not cyst related) are tackled, we will get off and see what it is doing. Some people swear by certain diets to tackle big or multiple cysts. I don't know, have no experience with diet and ovarian cysts.

Some cysts are always normal in a functioning ovary, just depends how big and how many.

All the best!

• Posted

Thanks for the input.

My doctor prescribed Naproxen for my pain, and fortunately, it seems to be working! I hope you find something that works for your cysts - I will be going back on BC after this. biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.