Suspected Costochondritis

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone

I wonder if I could get some advice from the experts here.

I have been suffering with severe chest and back pain for some time now.

After numerous tests gallstones were discovered and my gallbladder was removed. I was told that this operation would stop all my pain and I would get back to normal. Unfortunately 6 weeks after my surgery I am still suffering the same pain as before.

I'm now wondering whether it was something like "costo" all along.

I've been back to the consultant that removed my GB and all the necessary tests and scans have been carried out and everything is normal? The consultant had no answers for my continuing pain.

My heart is normal, pancreas, liver etc all normal and I was given a clean bill of health and sent home with cocodomol and omeprazole in case it was an acid problem.

I went to see a chiropractor this morning and she could feel muscle contraction around the rib and back area. The pain is of a crushing/ muscle contracting nature and it is worsened when I put my back up against a chair or lay down. I am getting through each night and day by standing up and sitting on a chair with no back and am getting desperate for help. The pain is constant and feels like I have broken my ribs. chest xray ruled this out of course.

I was just wondering whether this sounds like costo to you guys and also if anyone else experiences the same pain I have described?

I would be grateful for any feedback or tips to help relieve it enough to sit/lay down again. Anything at all to help really.

Thanks so much for reading

Polly

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes it kind of does sound like Costro. I have had it for about 9 months. Have you been to a rheumatologist? Ice helps me as well as neurontin..wich is not a narcotic or addictive. It comes and goes. Also, have you had a n mri of your chest? Does the pain go to your back and shoulders as well?? Streching helps(Gentle) as well as a positive attitude, and being very persiatant with your doctor!!! Good luck to you. You are not alone. The one good thing is this condition is not life threatening, although it is frustrating and painful!
    • Posted

Hi Grace

Thanks so much for all the advice i will definitley look into the rheumatolgist next.

I haven't had an MRI but I've had a chest xray and ct scan - all normal? Yes the pain does go into my shoulders and sometimes my arms and jaw also. Heart is fine though??

Anyway thanks so much for your kind reply, I'm so sorry you've had this for 9 months. Hope it gets better for you very soon too.

Polly x

• Posted

Hi Polly!

No problem. I'm so grateful for this site... We can all share our stories and help one another. I too had normal xrays and cat scans. I saw someone say they got an MRI to rule out somthing else. I havent had one yet, but looking to Rheumatologist. btw took an extra neurontin this morning(100MG) and it helped alot. Good luck to you. Let me know if any updates. Have a great day!!!!!

• Posted

Hi Polly your doing the right thing by using a chiro I see mine and yes it is worst when you lie down on the side that's affected most mine being the left it feels like your heart is out of ruthenium but it's just nerve twitch the costochondritus causes imflammation on the inter costal and swelling ,my chiro does aqua puncture and I get relief from the pain at the moment I'm in a rather good place you can mostly tell if it's costochondritus by pressing on your lower end of sternum I also rub in Olbas Oil to relieve pain I eps ks to hope this helps

• Posted

Wow, that sounds bad - I have had gall stones for about 40 years and have no intention of having my gall bladder removed.  It doesn't sound like my costochondritis which is exacerbated by stretching but I have found the answer thankfully.  Not sure that I can post it here because I am affiliated with it but it sure as heck stopped mine in its tracks.

• Posted

Have you been checked for cervical or spinal stenosis? I get the swelling in my ribs                 and then I get the achiness and soreness all over my mid section that floats all over. I think mine is Costo and it gets worse after a stessful time. I take Ibuprofin and use a moist heating pad. I think it is heredity because my son had it when he was younger and my daughter also has episodes from time to time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.