Endoscopy and colonoscopy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a 25 year old female who just had the procedures done today.I've had the two procedure done at the same time. I was so nervous I didn't sleep the night before. The prep wasn't too horrible, my doctor told me to mix it with Gatorade. I had beef broth and water ice during my liquid diet prep. Just the expected numerous trips to the bathroom,but no cramping or anything. My apt was in the afternoon around 230. So the day of procedure I just felt very dehydrated and weak. When I got to the doctors they explained everything to me, and they could tell I was very nervous. They told me they would give me IV fluids for my dehydration and it was a sigh of relief. I was put to sleep through an IV, and felt a burning sensation in my arm and chest, but the nurse said that was normal. She put the thing in my mouth the protect my teeth and that's the last thing I remember! I woke up in recovery with my mom holding my hand and I was so happy it was over. The only bad part of these exams is the prep. Once you get past that it's a piece of cake, no pain or anything during procedure. I cried a couple of times saying I can't do this, but I'm so glad I did and feel kinda accomplished I got through it. I've seen a lot of negative posts about these procedures and it freaked me out, so I hope this one is positive and will ease any anxiety!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Kelly I must say you are lucky to have not rembered anything I tell you during the whole process I was fully awake the sedative didn't work on me I even saw the monitor on my request though...entire process was painful esp the banding part I had three altogether....prep was OK for me kinda liked the taste of medicine....lol...anyway all is fine now I demanded for a painkiller at the end...that helped me a lot...ya on the later part we must keep a track on our feeding habits it adds up to faster recovery...

• Posted

Glad it went well for you.

When you mentioned that you did not sleep well the night before the procedure, it reminded me of a sigmoidoscopy I had some 15 years ago.  I went in relaxed, as I just figured the doctors knew what they were doing, and I would not get any pain medication or sedation because it would not be an issue. 

But it was beyond barbaric.  I still lose an occasional night's sleep because of the bad memories of that procedure.  I guess that is called PTSD, which I have also experienced from other events in my past.  Regrettably, now I have no. faith. whatsoever. in. what. doctors. say.

I wish that wouldn't be the case, but it is for me.  I will never undergo a procedure in which they say the adverse effects are "rare," yet they will not proceed unless I sign a waiver to release any liability for such adverse effects. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.