PSA Level affected by Hemorrhoids?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Yes, a bit of an odd queston but does anyone know of any research/articles that suggest a link between Hemorrhoids (and I mean quite forcefully scratching/irritating the anus) and an increase in a PSA level?

I think you can probably guess the reason I'm asking! (it's for a friend!)

thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Tell your friend, yes.  Hemorrhoids can increase PSA.  So can a recent digital rectal exam.  And other things not related to cancer like ejaculating within 72 hrs or so of a PSA blood draw.
    • Posted

Thanks Kinau. I knew about the ejaculating and DRE possibly increasing the PSA, but had not considered that Hemoorhoids could, which is a real problem - for my friend.
    • Posted

Hi Kinau,

Let me get it straight. If I ejaculate within 72 hours before my blood is drawn for PSA exam, PSA levels in the test will come out higher? Wonder what is the relationship? 

• Posted

Hi, nktoronto;

Yep.  Many docs suggest we abstain 72 hours before a blood draw, but from what I've read, 48 hours is OK.  My doctor sort of sidestepped the "why" part.  I assume PSA is aggravated by our prostatic contractions during orgasm.

K

• Posted

Yes, that is true. To many things can increase PSA, this is why it isn't the most accurate test for PC. If mine is high I will get it retested before ever considering a Biopsy. If it is borderline then I may get an MRI to see if there is a problem. I am on Prednisone daily and that has shown to reduce PSA levels by as much as 75% in some men, so I may have to double the PSA test score. There is really no way of knowing how much it will reduce it in me. This is why the liquid biopsy is a good idea for most men these days and they seem to be accurate as they only look for signs of PC.

• Posted

I would do a search for it on google. I don't think they can. Roids are soft in nature so it is unlikely they can put enough pressure on the prostate to increase PSA. It takes the strong muscle contractions of an orgasm or a forceful pressure on it from a prostate exam or semen milking to increase PSA. I would imagine that if one had inflammitory bowel disease, causing the rectum to get inflammed then it could possibly make PSA go up. If you are on Prednisone 10mg like me it has been shown to reduce PSA by as much as 75% in some but the majority in the study had at least a 50% reduction. So if on the steroid then get the PSA it should be low, but what we really want is an accurate PSA so we know if we might have PC, Right?

• Posted

Hi Craig, that's interesting. My problem as a 53 year old man (diagnosed 3 years ago 3 + 3) is that my PSA varies so much. For example it went from 7 on one occasion to 1.7 just 3 months later. This year its been 5.7 in January down to 2.8 in March then up to 8 a month ago.

• Posted

I had Haemmoroids and a Haemmoroidectomy and my PSA dropped from 10 to 6 following the operation, so I believe there is a link.  One thing to be careful of is if bathing ensure you do not touch your Piles and then your Penis as that can transfer infection and give you bad urine infections I was advised.
  • Posted

This reply is waiting to be moderated

I just ask if anybody knows any evidence about that Hemorrhoids can increase PSA. In the whole google I found it just here and in another website (and my comment was hidden because of the link to that website)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.