12 days post op (lumps/tissues still)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Did external hems surgery (3 lumps at anus, closed wound with stitches) on 8/9/2016. Today is the 12 days, still hurts after bleeding. Horrified when i look at it in the mirror, black stitches and the whole area seems like multiple lumps/tissue popping out of my anus! Looks really scary

Is this hems??? Is this normal? Will i be normal again

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am 13 weeks post - op and have a worse 'look' than I ever had before. Wish I'd had been on this page before the op - I would never have had it. I knwo some people on here say they are happy, but I'm still bleeding, painful every day. I'll be happy when I get back to being 95% of my old self. Right now I still have to have  have a whole morning ritual just to go the bathroom before I go to work. 

I would guess 12 days is still reallly early and you have a way to go. After about 5 weeks my doc realized that she hadn't given me a prescription for hydrocortisone to take tdown the swelling - don't know if you have that? it may help. and the same type of suppository

• Posted

Didnt the op solve ur problem of hems at all??
    • Posted

I am worse of now than I was before and the doc has said to me ' well we don't guarantee things are going to be better' I understand there are pople on here that say it as the best thing ever and I am truly happy for them. I have to move forward if not this really gets me down. I think I'm 13 weeks post op, still painful though not as bad, my whole morning revolves around my toilet time.  I am still bleeding, having to use suppositries every day, plus stool softners and psyllium. Ointment and Lidocaine. uncomfortable to sit. I now have big lumps and skin flaps where I didn't have any of that before. The 'look' is so much worse. This is the one time in my life I would turn back time if I could. 

I was in the ER twice, readmitted back into hospital for 9 days and had 3 blood transfusions. Pain was excruciating - no exaggeration for 4 - 6 weeks. I've torn all the ligaments off my foot before and that was nothing compared to this.

Sorry - that was a little rant... I guess I'm naive. I didn''t know it could go wrong or it would be worse than before. I lost 9 weeks off work for an out-patient surgery. 

I'm happy to be alive as there was a moment when I had lost so much blood in the hospital that it was only me calling the nurses in the night right before I passed out - that saved me. 

• Posted

Hi, did you start taking The hydrocortisone and have any improvement?
    • Posted

I still use hydrocortisone suppositories twice a day and ointment. I don't think it has made any difference. Maybe the suppositories help with BM's - maybe Prep H would work just as well. I do think Anusol are better. Before the op I have one little lump  - smaller than the end of my little finger, now i have two of those and 2 much larger skin tags/lumps. Take stool softners twice a day and psyllium every day. My BM every morning is still painful, better than before, still bleeding. I have to stay near a toilet every morning until I have gone. Once I know I'm going to go I only have a short time to get to the toilet. I haven't tried to hold myself as I don't want to have more issues but the past 2 days I've had to go to the restroom ad have BM - 2- 3 times a day.

How are you doing? do you feel things are getting better - however slowly? 

• Posted

I am going to change my earlier answer. things are definately better than they were. maybe the hydrocortisone is helping maybe not. but I'll continue to use the ointment every day plus suppositories twice a day . I figure they can't hurt. Having a BM is still an issue. I have good days and bad days. Good days are not painless but they are better than the bad days!

• Posted

Hi, pleased to hear you feel as though your turning a corner.

Today for me is 10 days post op. I visited my doctor on day 8 and he was pleased with the healing progress. Told me to still take sitz baths after the BM and use the hydrocortisone cream 3x a day. Plus the stool softener once a day. If I get diarrhoea then not to take it until cleared up. But to make sure I'm not constipated.

I will say that for the last two days if I wasn't doing a routine of using the cream and taking the baths/softener i wouldn't know I'd had the operation. I no longer have form of pain, not even during or after a BM and I find my stool is formed but soft enough. I have been taking the softener after lunch so that I can either go to the toilet early morning or in the evening. Otherwise it was affecting what time I was getting out of the house each day. I do find that drinking at least 3L of fluid a day is helping too. 

In terms of the lumps, I do feel as though the main was has gone down a little bit, but also now feel a smaller hard one. Looking in the mirror it doesn't look better or worse than before, it's more that I can feel it with my finger when putting the cream on. 

The doctor said it would take 5/6 weeks for the swelling to settle down so it's early days. I guess I have to continue with the program and see how it is in a month. I really hope the size reduces.

• Posted

Sounds like you are healing well. I will try, like you, to take the softners earlier and see if that helps my mornings. I left it weeks before I used a mirror and wished I hadn't!   I'll go back to applyng cream and supositories daily and hope for the best. If I can have a BM without too much pain I consider that a good day. I look forward to a day when a trip to the restroom is a painfree experience.

• Posted

Fingers crossed. I am applying the cream 3x and do feel as though the lumpiness has decreased a little. Let me know how you get on with the stool softeners. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.