Question about JAK2

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm sorry I'm just wanting to clarify something as I don't want to ask any stupid questions on Thursday, when they take your blood for the JAK2 mutation would that include the JAK2 exon 12? Im wondering if he did both, my statement just says JAK2 mutation but of course they may do every variant of JAK 2, plus when they check your blood to look for the mutation, would they look into it and check your EPO too or would that be another test? Sorry I just want to be clear with all my questions Thursday. X

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julia

I am not 100% sure but “reasonably” confident that these tests are not done at the same time. I believe that the JAK2 exon 12 test is requested when the JAK2V617F is negative and the Doctor still suspects Primary Polycythaemia. So I think you have good cause to ask for this test if your Doctor was surprised the JAK2V617F came back negative.

Hope this helps

Keith

• Posted

Hi Julia...

My understanding is this; when they test for the Jak2 mutation they usually begin with the jak2 v617f (by far the most common at 96-97%) before they test for the Jak2 exon 12. If your EPO is within the normal range, along with a negative Jak2 v617f, they may not bother testing for the jak2 exon 12 mutation. Your EPO is a seperate test, but I can't imagine your hematologist would not have checked for that, but then again, who knows, my Internist didn't intitially check mine. Although an EPO is usually sub-normal in PV, from my research, it is not always the case, as some have an EPO within the normal range.

Hope that helps... and I hope your appointment goes well on Thursday.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.