How long before you see the full effects of Prozac?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I started 20mgs of Prozac about 3 weeks ago for anxiety. I was doing really well for about 2.5 weeks and then all the sudden I had two really bad days of anxiety. Like I had a panic attack one of the days and the other I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin all day. Luckily I was able to take some valium and be ok. The next couple of days after that seemed to get much better. Does anyone know if this is normal? How long until the I feel the full effects of the Prozac? I haven't had any side effects at all from taking this medicine so I don't think it''s that. I go back to my doctor in a week an am wondering if I should give it more time or up my dose. Thanks for you help!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Its normal.  You'll be up and down for some time yet.  Sometimes you'll get weeks of feeling well and then suddenly drop again.  Its normal.  Your body is adjusting to the meds.

K x

• Posted

Most doctors don't tell their patients this, and in fact probably don't know themselves.  These meds are also slow to work ..... so if the doctor says you'll feel better in a few weeks, mark that as a few months.  Some people get better quicker, but for the majority it can be months.  May seem a long time, but when you look back its not really.  During these months your side effects will come and go, some days or weeks much worse than others.  It'll all ease in time though as your body adjusts.  A lot of people give up too soon or up their dose too soon ... a larger dose doesn't mean you'll recover any quicker and it won't stop these ups/downs.  You'll still get them.  Your body needs to adjust to a dose, settle, adjust some more.  When you increase you'll go over this procedure again.  You may recover on the dose you're on .... who knows.

Took my son 9 months to fully recover.  Don't worry though, its not all bad all that time as its improves as time goes by, and of course everyone is different and gets better in their own time.  This was my sons own personal time.

Don't try and hurry recovery because you can't.  Just let it happen in its own time.  You often don't notice it happening either ..... it sort of creeps up.

Hope it goes well.  xxx

• Posted

Im the same. Forst 2 weeks i was bedridden with anxiety by week 3 started to feel better bad still had bad days. Im now on week 9 and still having up and down days.
    • Posted

Hi Hollee, have you spoken to your doctor? I'm wondering if maybe you need a higher dose?

Vanilla, i've heard it takes between 4-8 weeks and sometimes even longer to even out. I'm on week 4 and still have a long way to go.

• Posted

Im on 20mg im to scared to go higher i dont want effects again lol
    • Posted

Lol that's fair enough! Hopefully things even out for you soon. You could buy a pill cutter and go up 5mg at a time to have least side effects as possible. Just a thought. Hopefully you'll feel better in a few weeks though.

• Posted

Thanks so much! Good to know. I think I'm going to give it another month before I decide to up my dose. My dr is kind of quick to up it but I think I'd rather wait for things to level out before I make a decison.

• Posted

From what I've hears it's Ups and downs for awhile before you see the full benefit. I'm on week 5. Experiencing side effects again (headache, nausea, tiredness, agitation) again since my dosage was increased to 40mg a day last week. I'll tell you one thing, though, it beats Effexor side effects, so I'm also sticking with it and hoping to sww some benefits soon.

• Posted

Thats good to know! Thank you! I agree - so much better than Effexor! Hang in there!
    • Posted

I tried Effexor and got all the way up to 225mg with no side effects or withdrawal but it also did nothing for my anxiety!!  Fluoxetine on the other hand, I have really struggled with the side effects, just gone up to 50mg 3 weeks ago and still suffering!.  It just shows you how different we all are!  I hope the fluoxetine kicks in for you and I soon.  Having a bit of a down day today.. x
    • Posted

Very true, Milliemoo. We are very different. I took Effexor a few years ago. Was only on 50mg but I had to stop it after a few months because I could literally hear my brain 'working' - a strange, ticking sound, almost like a short circuit in an electrical fence. Added to that I wad sleeping about sixteen hours a day and I could barely think straight.

Today I had a pretty rough time with the Fluoxetine side effects: I've had a killer headache since this morning that has now morphed into dizziness and nausea. I just tell myself I'm one day closer to being better. I hope it works out for you too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.