Recent Shingles Outbreak

Posted , 8 users are following.

I just got diagnosed with Shingles today Tuesday 9/20. I started out with cold/flu like symptoms on Friday by Sunday I had pain /burning on right side of face. I thought I was getting a sinus infection??? Then I noticed what I thought was a fever blister around my lower lip and sores inside my mouth. Monday I awoke to a rash from lip to ear to hairline.  I knew then this was more than sinuses.  I am now on an antiviral and steroid therapy. I'm praying this doesn't spread to eye area. As for pain it's fairly mild but annoying, it's more of a burning and deep pimple type of pain not all the time. I'm a little vain because it's on my face. I'm starting to notice neck and scalp are affected as well I'm hoping Medes will stop progression. Does anyone know if they will or what I should be doing in the meantime. My doctor was quite vague about contagion and spreadability.

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear about your new diagnosis, Sandra.  I was diagnosed when I was 21, I am now 48.  Mine started out on the inside of my right leg, fairly small.  Now, I get it on my face and scalp.  I've had it long enough to know the warning signs so I haven't actually had the breakouts anywhere but my scalp but when I feel pain in my eye socket and face, I start taking my Valtrex, 2 pills 3X a day.  

If you don't have the searing, horrible pain, you are fortunate.  I don't believe that is typical.

It hits your immune system big time and you get typical flu like symptoms.  Definitely get lots of rest and try not to stress since stress is a huge trigger.  Take the anti-virals and pain meds if you need them.  Otherwise, there is not a lot you can do besides treating it like an illness and take a break.  

It is contagious to people who have not had chicken pox which anymore isn't a huge issue with so many people having had the innoculation.  For some people, they get the initial breakout and they never have another.  Mine used to be a couple times a year, when stress became an issue.  Now, even though I'm in otherwise very good health, I am getting the symtoms monthly.  So I always always always have anti-virals on hand so I'm prepared.  When I got them on my leg for 20+ years, I didn't medicate because it wasn't really a problem, just a nuisance.  Now that I'm getting it on my face and head, I am always armed and prepared.

I hope for your sake that you don't have to deal with it too often and that your eye isn't affected.  Just be aware of the signs, burning, itching, discomfort and general malaise... and start taking the meds.

Feel better soon!

• Posted

Hi kbelly. I am 44 and have been getting shingles symptoms for 3 years now. I too know the signs and start taking the antiviral right away, however, was wondering for how many days you take 2, 3xday? I have been taking them 1, 3 x a day for 3-5 days. I'm wondering if I am not taking enough for long enough to completely wipe it out?

Thx

• Posted

I am learning so much valuable advice from you lovely people. Thank You ALL so much for responding so promptly. I am heeding ALL advice given... You have been so helpful and have eased my confusion so much.. I'm still quite concerned for Shingles is Nothung to take lightly.. I pray that we can learn how to ease each other's suffering. We are at different stages but can learn so much from each other.. So Thank You again I'm sure I'll be coming back for more information soon. Sandra

• Posted

Thank you for your valuable information. I appreciate your time more than you know. I was alarmed and scared at first now I'm dealing with this. I'm just happy that I knew the symptoms( I'm a Dental

Hygienist who works with immunocompromised patients who from time to time get Shingles) I haven't been in that environment for over a year but learned much from them and what to look for.. This virus varies so much but overall same classic symptoms. I never got the Shingkes vaccine like a fool.. Can you still receive the vaccine after an outbreak?? Is it recommended??? Thank you again for your assistance and I pray you have NO more outbreaks at least you know how to deal with them

If you do.. Thanks again Sandra

• Posted

Hi Sandra. Firstly...sorry you got Shingles! Your symptoms sound very much like those I experienced. It's good you got a quick diagnosis as I believe the drugs work better the sooner you start them. In my case it took 4 doctors more than a week....only the last one I saw recognised Shingles...as opposed to an allergic reaction to a bite that was previously diagnosed! It seems they'd never seen shingles on the head or face before. My doctor told me there's little risk to anyone other than those who've never had Chickenpox...and even then they'd have to touch your sores. I found the sores in my mouth quite distressing and whilst I don't wish to alarm you...I got oral thrush at the same time. If you do too then go back to the doctor as there's a drug to treat it. Get well soon! Paul.

• Posted

Thank You Paul. Your information is so much more helpful than my Physcians. I am a Dental Hygienist and was aware of Shingles Symptoms but like most people didn't think I had it?! I thought I was coming down w/cold/flu until the breakout/nerve pain and the fact that is was unilateral. I ran to Physcian to get in meds... This site is so helpful I'm so glad I found it and you.. I appreciate you responding. Thank You so much..

• Posted

Dear Sandra,

First, I am sorry you have this disease. Herpes Zoster-Shingles is much more complex than your physician alluded.

When you felt ill on Friday, you were in the preeruption phase. You may have had a headache, fever, chills and sweating, aches and pains, malaise and fatigue, photophobia. You are currently in the eruption phase, which lasts up to five days in which the vesicle-blisters form. You are considered contagious to anyone who has not yet had chickenpox. They can catch chickenpox from the vesicle-blisters until the vesicle-blisters have all scabbed over. They do not catch Herpes Zoster-Shingles from you. It can take up to a month for this entire process to occur.

Hopefully, the vesicle-blisters will not go near your eye or ear, as the process can become more complex when involving these organs.

If the pain intensifies, please see your physician immediately and get excellent analgesics as pain control the first month is essential to avoid Post Herpetic Neuralgia.

If the vesicle-blisters form in your eye or eyelid, see an ophthalmologist that same day. If you have ear pain, see an ENTphysician, immediately.

I am glad that you are on the antivirals si quickly.

I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twenty years and in my right eye twice.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Also, Sandra,

The virus is circulating in your body. You need to rest and take off from work. Please don't power through this. You will feel exhausted later, guaranteed.

Try to drink plenty of fluids, as well.

I think the ones that were not properly diagnosed and treated with antivirals, the first episode, worked because we felt we had to (I was a single mother.) were more likely to have Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN and or recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles..

Again, Best regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank You Merry for your educational input.. I'm so grateful for this site and the many people who have responded. I am so glad I noticed the symptoms early on and got on meds. I'm not on any pain meds due to the fact pain is not bad just annoying at times.. As questions or concerns arise I hope I can come to you for help. Like I was telling Paul this site and the people who participate have been more helpful than my Physcian.

• Posted

Hi Sandra, I was also diagnosed with shingles today. My left eye, forehead and my scalp have been affected. The pain in my eye is awful. I have been prescribed pain killers, antiviral medication and antibiotic drops. My eye is really watering and I'm worried that I am infecting my eye or spreading the virus across to the other side of myface. I cant stop the tears running. Have you or anyone else had this? It is not possible to keep the affected area covered as it is on the body and I'm wondering if whilst sleeping the infection will transfer from my pillowcase to elsewhere on my face. As i write this my eye is virtually closed and continually watering. Hope you're feeling bettert than i do!

I

• Posted

Hi Rosemary, my eye is not affected(yet) affected areas start chin/lip area entire right cheek, my Ear inside/out this us the most painful area then it goes to my scalp. I have noticed my chin area getting worse also lesions in my mouth.. I understand the Eye and the EAr to be the worst areas to be affected due to the potential to affect sight and hearing.. Not to mention what you are already going through. I would think transmission of fluids from eye and other sores could inhibit more spreading. Put a fresh Towell on your pillow each night that might help. Have you seen an eye doctor?? If so what have they said other than droos/antiviral/pain Med etc.. I have not been given pain meds or antibiotic therapy just antiviral and steroid.. I'm concerned about what will happen once I've completed medication??? My Physcian is extremely vague I'm a nervous wreck and look lovely to boot😢😢😢😢I wish I could be more help... I'll be praying for you and hope we both recover quickly...Sandra

• Posted

Dear Rosemary,

I am sorry you are going through this. Usually, the Herpes Zoster-Shingles virus does not spread to the other side of the body. It spreads from within your body attacking certain dermatomes, such as your forehead, eye, and scalp. Sometimes, a cool washcloth or ice pack helps with the pain. I hope you were given strong Opioids for the severe pain you are having in your eye. You need to take off from work and rest.

Usually, the rash stops spreading after five days. Have you seen an Ophthalmologist? As the Herpes Zoster-Shingles has affected your eye it is essential that you see an ophthalmologist immediately, if you haven't, already...

Excellent Pain control is crucial the first month, as those who continue to experience pain beyond the first month develop Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN, and or recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles.

Often with Herpes Zoster-Shingles, the opthalmologist will also prescribe antiviral eye drops. You may get a second week of oral antivirals. Obviously, strict hand washing is important in dealing with your eyes, and any infection. Your tears contain contagious viral particles, but they are not contagious to you, only to others who have never had chickenpox.

I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twenty years and twice in my right eye.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Sandra,

Your idea of a towel is a great one, or another soft pillow case if the Terry cloth is too irritating. I hope you are not in too much pain. Please go back to your physician if you are.

Best regards

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.