Married to a functioning alcoholic.

Posted , 13 users are following.

Please somebody help me. I have been married to my husband for 20 years. He has always enjoyed a drink, maybe 3/4 cans of lager after work, over the years it has increased to a bottle of wine and 4 cans every day. I worked out over a week he is having 100 units. His behaviour is disgusting, he's weed the bed, wet himself on the sofa, the list is endless. Myself and our boys have pleaded with him to stop, he won't admitt he has a problem. I've threatened to leave him and he'll go a couple of nights without drinking, but the excuses always creep back in. What do i do? I'm now on antidepressants and having councelling, I'm not sure i even love him anymore, please somebody help me.

2 likes, 98 replies

98 Replies

Next
  • Posted

alice unfortunately you've joined the forum when the website doesn't work properly

• Posted

Do you have email address, if so click on the envelope under vickylouand

• Posted

Hmmm. An hour later, I'm not having a problem posting. Have you tried restarting your tablet, Vickylou? Sometimes they need that to clear their little minds. 

• Posted

ADE I've tried absolutely everything, iPad, iPhone, laptop Apple Mac and it's just the same. Am now chatting with paper fairy, misssy by email and now Alice.

i got as far as welcome to the forum Alice and up pops the dreaded message

• Posted

I've just typed a sentence to you and it went

• Posted

Ah, from your message below it sounds like Patient got things sorted...
  • Posted

Whereabouts on the globe are you Alice? UK, US, Oz...
    • Posted

Yes thank you for asking! 

Alice please reply as the advise will vary a bit depending on where you are situated. Equally there is help out there along the same lines for this situation!! You just need to know where to look! Xx💞

• Posted

it is a postcode lottery. RHGB an expert on the forum, will offer help/advice
    • Posted

Sorry vickylou!

You are obviously experiencing difficulty posting. I too am in the UK but ok so far.

Your advice is obviously sound so I do hope Alice benefits from it soon, that is fully soon.

Xx

• Posted

I'm in the UK, he won't go and get any kind of help, completely blanks it, even though he knows he stands to lose me and everything we've ever worked for.

• Posted

Ok. Where does one start?

Your husband obviously has a problem. However he is beyond helping himself. However much he loves you and the boys he is only able to 'hold it together' for as long as the 'DETOX' enables him to. Once the absence of alcohol 'kicks in' he has to 'sink or swim'! Without the help of experienced support he will revert to the coping mechanism of alcohol because otherwise he will flounder.

Hopefully by the time you read this someone else will have emailed you. Please help him by contacting a support group. In the UK you can go to recovery groups nationwide for help with alcohol or drugs. Depending on how severe your dependency is, they will guide you through detox etc. Most importantly they will hep you/one discover the root causes etc through counselling. 

Please let us know how you get on. Most importantly please don't give up on your husband. You may need to 'have a break' to cope yourself but keep reassuring him that you love him but hate the alcohol and what that makes him become!

Al the very best

xx

• Posted

Sharon have you read my discussion my shameful secret. I was the drinker
    • Posted

in theory, detox with medication medically carried out, support plan followed by counselling
    • Posted

Yes I did. I was so pleased to hear the 'success' story and how your husband loved you through it, then consequently your children.

Have I missed something?

Xx

• Posted

is what should happen, the reality is that won't happen, unless you pay

• Posted

I have, along with others can only write 1 sentence at a time
    • Posted

Oh ok, very sad. Where do you live?

I guess it is the same in the UK. It is free but depends on where exactly you live.

Sadly!

X

• Posted

before the text is lost, hence all the replys. No you've not missed

• Posted

I am not sure I understand? Sorry!

Seriously don't want to upset or offend anyone; I too am struggling. X

• Posted

The website for a lot of us in uk is basically crap and keeps crashing 
    • Posted

after 1 sentence and deletes the text. This discussion is all mixed up now
    • Posted

and poor Alice on her first post is not getting much help from me which
    • Posted

is why I asked her to email me. I'm. bowing out guys and leaving 

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your reply, you're right, once he's gone a few days without the booze it's like he has to have it, makes any excuse be it, going out for tea, you name it, he's got an excuse. I'm having councelling atm for me, haven't got the energy at all to help him when he won't even admitt to himself he has an illness which sounds very harsh I know but I need to concentrate on me just now to try and build myself up a bit. X

• Posted

Mine has to "pop out" to get his lottery ticket, even though we may have been out all day! If I say I'll come, he goes into a fit !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.