Vertigo Dizziness can anyone help. Has anyone else experienced what I have?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Can anyone help?

It all stated in mid April..... with visual disturbances. Things distorted, sometimes double

Mid May first vertiginous attack 

.......What happens is that I get a sensation of something arriving and filling up my head. It overwhelms me. I have to lean on something and/ or grip onto something as it fills up my head and sometimes makes me go backwards or to the right hand side. After a few moments it passes down through my body. Sometimes dissipating and sometimes going right through the length of my body  to my feet leaving my toes tingling. Like a mild electric shock?

I am left with a great feeling of nausea and often with a cold clammy sweat.

I never pass right out. When it happens it is very frightening.

After a bad attack I am exhausted and have to lie down and sleep

These attacks can happen at any time while just sitting or walking about. There seems to be NO pattern or trigger. Sometimes 2 in a day or 3 days in a row, sometimes every few days, sometimes as long as 10 days have elapsed between attacks

Mid July NEW....A sensation of really "heavy" legs feet tingling. Walking on sponges feeling started and continued. I am unable to walk very far. It makes me very tired and I am unsteady a lot of the time

Head buzzing loudly with tinnitus and head feeling vey tight esp round the back of my head. 

I am Feeling spaced out most of the time and Nauseated a lot of the time 

lately i I think that the worst attacks are triggered by visuals like looking at a screen or a book and by turning my head

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

How old please? Did you suffer any type of accident or head injury in the past? Have you seen anyone for it and if so what was their conclusion or diagnosis?
    • Posted

76. Perfectly healthy  until this started out of the blue.

I have seen an ENT Consultanr. He says it could be the Utricle that's damaged. Can't find anything else. Sent me for VRT. But it doesn't really provoke the symptoms which it should apparently.

I saw a neurologist. He sent me for MRI did EEG  both showed nothing abnormal. Next up is a PET scan...he says maybe its focal epilepsy but I feel sure it's not that. 

• Posted

Had those feelings. The good spins from vertigo go threw me like that. Right to my toes. Usually followed by dizziness,headache. Docs stll doing more tests. Going to therapist. Was told its bppv years ago. But its getting worse. Get results from my VNG this afternoon along with hearing test.
  • Posted

My opinion is that you should see a neurologist.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Wouldnt be surprised if thats my next stop. Was told MRI didnt show anything major. Will find out today what VNG results are today
    • Posted

Hi

Thank you for your interest. Have seen a neurologist. Had MRI (. Normal). EEG ( normal ). He's sending me for a PET. Scan to rule out inflammation I think

he favours focal epilepsy but I don't think I fit into that category. It seems to be much more likely to be inner ear damage. The problem is what? And is there anything I can do to get better!

• Posted

The symptoms you describe tend to go beyond the vestibular system, such as something arriving, electric shock feeling, and heavy legs with no other symptoms.  As a neurologist, epilepsy needs to be ruled out.  It is one of the things that needs to be looked into.  You should continue being followed up with your neurologist.  I believe that he or she is following the right road.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Again, thank you. It still seems to be evolving and changing. Yesterday I suddenly found myself staggering , unable to walk straight (like a drunk) but after holding onto a post for a minute or two it settled and I could walk straight. Then in the evening as going to bed the whole of the room tilted sideways. As if I was on a ship tipping over to the right. Again after a min or two it settled. This doesn't seem like epilepsy to me but a problem in my head somewhere which is giving my brain the wrong signals about where I am in space. What do you think. What can I do? 

• Posted

Hello Jessica, I have had similar symptoms since Jan of this year and have been diagnosed with vestibular migraine. I am taking Topamax and Amitriptyline and still having symptoms of spinning vertigo, visual changes and still feel like it is my inner ear. I am curious to know what your pet scan showed. My holistic dr felt my problem was caused by inflammation as well but I haven't had a pet scan yet. Hope you are feeling better!

• Posted

PET scan showed nothing. I never have spinning vertigo. Just dizziness and off balance. I often have  legs and am very tired. When I get the brain "zaps" which hold my head in a vice I cannot stand or walk. When it dissipates I can move again but have to lie down to recover. I never feel really OK. Sometimes it's just passable.

Do those drugs help you at all?

• Posted

Steroids should help the inflammation. Or there supposed to. Didnt like the way they made me feel. Didnt work for me. But was told they do for some people. That was before they suspected menieres.
    • Posted

I have also had room tilting! It has happened only 3-4 times and it goes from right to left to right within a matters of seconds. Please let me know if you find out anything as every neurologist I've been to dismisses my brain zaps. 

• Posted

I have electric shock feeling that makes me feel like I want to faint. I call them "brain zaps". They come out of nowhere and if they're strong, I feel like I'm going to faint (tunnel vision, fatigue, sweaty, heart racing). If they're regular, they just make everything spin for a few seconds.

I also have heavy legs and cannot walk far because I feel as if my walking is unbalanced. As if I'm walking on uneven pavement.

I am 29 and within the last year have had 3 brain MRIs, a CT scan of brain, a full spine MRI, nerve conduction tests, etc.. to no avail. They all came back normal. I also have Ménière's disease which started causing me vertigo attacks a few months after all of this started happening. I have had vertigo off and on for 11 years but never the attacks.

Do I think they're all related? Yes. How? I have no idea. I just asked yesterday if it was seizures and my neuro said no. So if you find out what's wrong, please let me know as I'm just as lost as you are.

I just wanted you to know you're not alone.

• Posted

Hi Hayhue

thanks for the support. It's hell isnt it! Just need to regain a life again. I'm so sorry they havnt helped you yet and you are so young. Do keep in touch. You are the first person I've found who has any understanding of these "brain zaps". That's exactly what they are like. Let me know if a solution is found. Bon courage...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.