Foot movement timescale

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

So I am 5 weeks today (20th September) into a non surgical, full tendon rupture. I have been in a moon boot for 4 weeks and last week I removed one of three wedges. I have been FWB now for about 10-14 days without the use of crutches. Over the last couple of days I have very carefully tried pointing my foot with very limited/almost no success. No pain or discomfort mind you. My calf is now about half the size of my healthy leg and still hangs like a water filled sack, no tension at all. Is this still perfectly normal and am I just expecting too much, or should there be some sort of movement/tension?

Thanks for any input you may have

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

We are exactly at the same stage which looks like the same protocol. My calf is wasted, but I can slightly move my foot up and down, not much though, due to the stiffness. I've felt my tendon the other and it's continuous with no gap, but it's really thick now. The only problem I have are muscle and nerve issues around the back of the knee.

I've got another two weeks until my next appontment, I'm hoping that the doctor signs me off for PT.

• Posted

2 years ago, age 65  non surgical partial rupture. Similar experience of a wasted calf muscle, and its still not back to 100% strength. walking ok, but difficult doing toe stands. As soon as i was back to FWB, i spent time with an elastic strap ,foot elevated pushing against the elastic. Very gently to start with. The muscle takes forever to get back into condition I'm afraid

• Posted

I started partial weight bearing at 4 weeks

Started PT at about the same time first time I tried range of motion could not move my foot at all

Calf muscles were like yours . So sounds like you

Are doing good

PT is the key

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks for all of your replies. I actually took my boot off about an hour ago and carefully began to FWB. I can now stand, feet shoulder width apart without the boot. I can't move though :D I'm going to order one of those band things and maybe next week, start working on that. I'm off to Japan on the 31st of October so I'm hoping I can walk without the boot by then, even if it's with help from a walking stick.

• Posted

Hey Matthew, I wouldn't FWB without the boot, unless instructed by the doctor. I started FWB the same time as you but that's in the boot. I think to  FWB without the boot is a bit risky, unless given the OK. You have to remember that a rupture is one hell of an injury, even more than an ankle break. Best not to rush things and re-rupture.

• Posted

That was my first thought

Would def. Get cleared by dr. Or PT first

• Posted

Yeah good thinking. It's easy to get a little carried away sometimes

• Posted

I hope to be walking without the Boot by the end of Oct, albeit with a limp and very slowly. So you're on the right trach with your progress, best not risk anything before you go away as that would be a killer.

Patience is the key.

• Posted

Hey Matt sorry to hear about your rupture. I had a total rupture, thought I could take the non-surgical route, but my doctor was honest and said surgery was necessary if I wanted to regain full use of my foot and calf muscle. If it was a partial tear, i would've been able to go the nonsurgical route. I had surgery 8 weeks ago, still in the boot, in therapy, but not full weight bearing yet. However I have range of motion and able to point my foot upward and down. As much as a I hate to say it, but you may need to have the surgery or take forever to heal naturally. sad

• Posted

Unfortunately I've already made my choice with the consultant. He told me that without the operation there's a 5% chance of a re-rupture yet with the operation it goes down to 2-3%. Then there's the risk of infection or nerve damage. Unless he's lied to me..? I was very active before, running and doing selfdefence 4+ times a week. I'm beginning to think that maybe I should have gone ahead with it...

• Posted

I disagree, modern protocols have shown there is very little difference in re-rupture and strength.

There's a YouTube clip of a guy jogging on a treadmill at 40 days and he went no-op.

• Posted

That makes me happy. I'm aware that I MAY not quite reach the level I was at pre injury, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try

• Posted

This is kinda right but with early weight bearing there's very little difference. But one thing is that your Achilles will never be back to what it was. It be ok for the activities that you do, for sport that requires that push in acceleration, that'll be be dismished.

• Posted

Just wondering why you opted for the non surgical route.
    • Posted

My preference for non op was that it usually works, and if it doesnt, theycan always operate. With the op, theres always a risk of infection

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.