Update on back pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Saw my lovely ostepath on Monday, she did the norma muscle treatment that i have as some were quite tight as they normally are.

Then she felt my lower spine and i nearly jumped offof her bed as she had hit the sore and inflammed part of my spine. I told her off for that! I was not impressed. The last 4 vertibrea are inflammed and angry, unsure why or what ha caused this!

Any one got any ideas as to why this has happened, i have up to a 30 week wait for the referral to the pain clinic with an mri, unfortunately she is unable to refer me for the mri as the treatment she gives me works. hmm!!

Any one ele suffer with this?? i also have scoliosis of my lower spine also if that helps.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Well you could take antiinflamotry tablets to ease the inflammation , while you are waiting. I take. Diflam. And I also have scoliosis of lower back. (Did you have mri already to diagnose this. But have you changed your car or seating in your house lately. As mine all flared up after we changed our car. So after a months of Drs . Antiinflamotry s . Oesteopath a and Mri. And a cushion to go at my lower back for extra support in passenger seat and adjusted the driver seat also. (As I was getting migraines every time I drove . All is good 😀 it was the new car / seats that set it all off. It's the simple things that put us out in life. 😩

• Posted

Hi My scolosis has been confirmed from a teenager, by the hospital doctors who i saw many years ago.

I have not had an mri yet that is waiting to be booked with the pain clinic appointment i have to wait for 26-30 weeks for this!

Not changed anything, car i always sit upright and cant slouch as it hurts more, i am always aware of my posture even at work.

• Posted

I'd get another physician. I would be getting an MRI, that's for sure. Is she the one sending you to pain management? If so, you said she won't send you for an MRI because her treatment is working, yet she will send you to pain management? That doesn't seem logical and is contradictory.

Really.

If you are going to see a pain management physician, he/she will want an MRI at the very least.

I hope you can get the help you need. Warm wishes,

Rebecca

• Posted

Hi Rebecca,

Sorry you have got confused,

gp sending me to pain management and for an mri

osteopath cant refer me for mri as her treatments are currently working

• Posted

I would not wait that long for an MRI. Go to the emergency room and tell them of your pain. They cant make you wait. They have to do an MRI while you are there.
    • Posted

Hi TreasureNurse,

I'm in the USA and here do not "have to" give you an MRI. I speak from my own experience as a chronic pain experiencer and insurance savy medical professional that most all ER's in the US will do a CT scan, if anything at all. This is because by and large most insurance plans now require pre-authorization for MRI's, but not CT's. If you are having signs and symptoms of CES, then sometimes they will go forward with an MRI and get "authorization" after, but again, pain is not a symptom that indicates need for an MRI. Yes, that's messed up and so wrong, but it's the way our system works now.

I just think we need to be careful about advice we give and as we know, healthcare varies from country to country. It used to vary much more here in the states until the ACA, then insurance companies started implementing even more strict guidelines. This is a supportive community and I know we are all trying to help.

• Posted

I am an ER nurse and do know how to properly advise. We do MRI's where I work and it is not wrong to share what we know.  I do not want to argue the matter when I know what we do in our ER. I speak from 40 years of experience as a nurse, as well as a patient who has had two spinal fusions and now have a spinal cord stimulator. Pain is a symptom, coupled with all the other physical complaints, that does necessitate an MRI. Our ER physician orders them regularly.

• Posted

Hi

Thank you all for the messages - however i am in the UK and i am under the guidance of my GP who has referred me for the MRI and i am being seen by the pain management team as this is an ongoing problem that will never be cured completely.

I currently have scolosis which is getting worse and has not been looked at since i was a teenager i am now 30 and the pain is on a daily basis and the levels of pain vary day to day.

I also have the last 4 vertibrea in my spine are severly inflammed and irritated - not sure why but my osteopath noticed that while working on my muscles last week.

I do not complain and get on with my daily life, it is hard when the pain has me gripped that i cannot move and makes it impossible to sleep, becuase of this and other factors i am now on antidepressants also.

I will also add that this has been going on for a year before i got the referral so i know it is more than just the normal aches and pains people get.

• Posted

TreasureNurse,

My post was not meant as disrespectful and I don't want to set a tone of argument. However, I believe strongly that we should be cautious about recommendations here. We know that healthcare varies from state to state, policy to policy and hospital to hospital. Like you, for several decades I've worked in 5 different states as a direct patient care provider (I don't feel a need to specify as its not part of the point I'm making) and can testify that your ER is the exception. I'd very much like to have an ER Physician who orders an

MRI for pain soley on its own merit. I would utilize them, certainly. You and I come from different experiences with our healthcare in the USA. It demonstrates that getting the care we need is often not consistent here.

Here's warm wishes for Dawn and that the time passes quickly to the date of her test and PM appointment and that a measure of relief can follow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.