BAB34 How quickly should flacainide take effect? On in...

Posted , 1 user is following.

BAB34

How quickly should flacainide take effect? On instuction from my cardiologist I have a "pill in the pocket" approach to my paroxsysimal atrial fibrillation. I took two tablets at the beginning of the attack and felt no effect for three and a half hours. Are the tablets working?

[i:91feb9d7e7]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:91feb9d7e7]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

When I was prescribed 50mg to start with I noticed a reduction in intensity of the irregular 'thumping' within an hour or two. My consultant increased the dose to 100mg and sinus rythm returned, again within an hour or two. Since then I get recurrences about once a year. These are in clusters of 2 or 3 occurrences and always in summer but otherwise it's like a miracle. I hope you eventually find the same relief.smile

[i:a3b0de3cc1]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:a3b0de3cc1]

• Posted

Addendum - my Consultant said my BP was slightly high and put me on 10mg Ramipril per day. This was over 15 months ago and I have had no episodes since Feb 2007. As I have had at least one per year since 1990 this is great! How long it will last...??
  • Posted

Hi

I have also been given Flecinide 150mg when AF occurs \" pill in pocket\". I was told that if in 30mins there is no change I need to get to hospital.I also have had 2 episodes a year apart and in the Summer. All investigations show no underlying heart condtion. My heart goes bout 180bpm and feel so sleepy and tired. this time lost my power to speak or think straight too. Bit scary!!

GP thinks that if it occurs agin I may need to be on a beta blocker. Hurrah more mediation! :lol:

• Posted

I had a bad bout (my first) on monday night and they gave me 100mg of Flecainide which worked in about one and a half hours.

I have been taking 100mg every night since along with Warfarin until I can see a cardiologist, and,touch wood, it has been ok since.

Very frightening experience though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.