Am I having Pancreas issues (Part Two)

Posted , 4 users are following.

So my blood test results were returned and my Amylase levels were low, and my doctor said "There is no clinical significance of this" my vitamin D was also very low so she ordered vitamin D capsules for me in perscription stregth.  I wish I knew where to go from here?! 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Wish I knew what to say. I'm scheduled for blood work , ct scan and hida scan on Friday. I have the symptons of pancreatitis. Scary thought ! Maybe someone on here will be able to enlighten you. Hope so. The thought of pancreatitis definitely puts mortality in the front of my mind. Good luck on your quest. I'm just starting.

• Posted

Hi Portacrean, having read a couple of your posts I've got the impression that you think Pancreatitis is a death sentence which it isn't.  Pancreatitis isn't cancer, it can be managed successfully much of the time, we just have to follow some rules.  Having a good gastroenterologist is also important.

No alcohol ever, no cigarettes, and going on a low fat diet helps.  Stress should also be avoided as best one can, it does no-one any good.  Digestive enzymes such as Creon also help.

I hope your tests are clear but if not follow the rules and read up on the management of the disease so your fears are reduced.  Good luck.

• Posted

I appreciate your response , probably more than you'll ever know. I've lived extremely healthy over the past 18 years. Exercise, no beef , no alcohol and no smoking. But it just seemed , the healthier I've led my life , the more sickness I had. So , I suppose I've just gotten to where I expect the worse of any ailments. My wife use to tell me to get off the net before I read myself into catching something.

• Posted

Glad to have given you a little perspective Portacrean.  It sounds like you've been doing great living healthy so don't let fear undermine all those years of good work.  Perhaps learning some stress management strategies might a good next step to add to your positive lifestyle.  You're lucky to have such a wise wife.  Let us know how the tests go.

• Posted

CLNF1979 it's good that the tests aren't deemed significant for Pancreatitis

at this point but sometimes it's worth looking deeper. 

Did you have a CT and an endoscopy by the way or just blood tests?  If you only had bloods then a CT might be a good idea.  Is your doctor a gastroenterologist?

The fact that you have low Vit D might indicate malabsorption issues which should be followed up regardless of pancreas test outcome.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hello, I used to be a regular on here for quite a time. I had symptoms start after the birth of my 3rd child. I too took to the Internet and scared myself half to death. I started losing weight through worry at 6lbs per week! It was crazy. I was glued to my phone. However, I have had all the tests done, except ERCP, and they are all normal. I do not have complete confidence in my GI but I have to accept that if there was something wrong hopefully it would've shown up. So I've changed my life syle, tried to avoid food that cause flare ups and I take a heap of herbal tablets (checked and okayed by my GI). I also had low vit d and calcium. My dr runs regular bloods to check for my vit d, calcium, liver function and A,E,K to keep my mind at ease.

The reason I'm telling you this is that I'm in pain everyday. My stools float and are yellow but I've tried to put it to the back of my mind and carry on with life. If it turns out to be CP then I'll deal with it then, at this point I'm able to do pretty much anything. I'm on a couple of Facebook groups and she you see how much people are suffering everyday, I know I haven't got it that bad and if I do get it then I'll probably know about it.

Good luck in your journey. Mine is still on going 2 years and 4 months since it started! But learn to manage it the best you can.

Gem

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.