Should I work part-time when doing chemo?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a tumor removed four weeks okay. I'm 49 and in good health. I seem to be healing okay and take shortish walks and can do shopping. I'm meeting the surgeon for the first post-surgery meeting next Monday and I am scheduled to work part-time three days a week starting the Tuesday. I expect to need to chemo/radiotherapy/I don't know what exactly as I think the tumor was stage IIIB or IIIC. The work is non-physical. Is it a good idea to start working a little? And will I be able to if I'm recieving chemo, etc?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

No reason not to do some work if you're up to it. Depends what the work is?

No doubt you've been warned to do no heavy lifting and so on. As for working during chemo/radiotherapy- that will very much depend. On how it affects you, and the risks of catching bugs from co-workers, as your immune system will be compromised. If you work with people who have young children, it could be very easy to catch something that will knock you flat.  You need to discuss this with the surgeon, and take her advice.

• Posted

The biggest hazard if receiving chemo is the possibility of developing neutropenic sepsis, which is potentially fatal, should you catch an infection.  I don't know if all hospitals take it as seriously as the one that I attended.  Before starting chemo I had a fairly lengthy session with the ward sister mostly concerning the health hazards.  I was given a card on which was printed the symptoms to look out for, the prime one being temperature, and a 24 contact phone number should I experience any of them.  She also gave a lot of advice about how to avoid problems, the main one being to keep clear of other people as far as possible!

I did actually have to invoke the procedure when one morning I found my temperature to be 38.5C.  The result was spending most of the day in A&E being tested to near destruction and having intravenous antibiotics fed to me.  After this experience, I made sure that I kept well away from any liklihood of problems!

• Posted

Thanks Anthony. I will ask the surgeon about neutropenic sepsis and working.
  • Posted

Zowie your employer jas to give you time of for hospital/drs appointments paid look up your rights on gov.uk website also you could claim statutory sick pay wich is £88.90 a week then top up with pip payments etc theres lots of finacial help out there even if you are in a well paid job..call mcmillan too they are really good...

Im still working albeit mostly from home but pop into nursery school at least once a week with antibac a plenty and no touching any green noses. Good luck in whatever you decide 😊 Oh and I am only in my first chemo week and I too am 49 😊

• Posted

Thanks. How's the chemo hitting you? Are you more tired?

• Posted

Its not too bad only one day when I needed a nap after being in work for the afternoon. My 2nd day has been the worst so far but it is only my first chemo will wait and see what the next ones like. How are you getting on? X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.