Shingles on stomach but pain in other areas?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm a 28 year old male in good health and was diagnosed with shingles 5 days ago after weird pain in my right side and first glance of a tiny rash. I immediately went to the doctor and got a 10 day prescription of Valtrex. Over the past few days the rash spread a bit from my stomach to back staying in a general stripe. Yesterday I started experiencing the same extreme sensitivity/pain in my right thigh and also in my right bicep/underarm. I don't see any signs of a rash in those areas. I'm wondering if this is normal or if the shingles is spreading? Has anyone experienced this before? Thanks!

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Benjamin,

First I am sorry you are going through this...

You have the Herpes Zoster-Shingles Varicella virus circulating in your body. The virus has hibernated on your sensory nerve root since you had chickenpox, and for some reason, decided to spring into action as your immunity has dwindled to Zoster-Shingles. I am not certain exactly where the rash is located on your abdomen, but the dermatomes actually dip down to the thigh area, as well. As far as the biceps area, that is the (cervical) C-6 Nerve Root. Yes, that often happens, more than a lot of physicians are aware of.

You can have shingles without the rash. It is called "Zoster Sine Herpete." Why am I telling you this?

Often times, if it reoccurs, it occurs in the same areas. As you had already started on the Valtrex, the rash was probably suppressed. The area still can be agonizing, just like the area in the abdomen.

I am hoping that the physician gave you strong analgesics, as well as the Valtrex. Pain control is imperative the first month as studied have shown that the individuals who have excellent pain control the first month are at less risk to develop the feared complications of Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN and or recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles.

You should rest, as an accompanying symptom, besides the pain, is fatigue and exhaustion. Those who think they can power through it often times end up with more pain and debilitating exhaustion, long-term.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States and have Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twenty years and twice in my right eye.

Let me know how I can help you.

Best regards.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks for the response Merry, it was actually very helpful, especially since I think a lot of this has to do with stress in my life right now and your info is helping put me at ease.

The doctor didn't give me any other pain meds, although the pain really hasn't been agonizing, just really bothersome. Also, other than the day before the rash showed up when I was feeling feverish and fatigued, I've had all my usual energy and I've been going to work as usual. Hopefully that's due to the antiviral and my overall good health. I was actually in really good spirits up until yesterday when the additional spots of pain showed up, which really brought me down. But again, your info is making me feel better, so thanks!

• Posted

Hi Merry once again I was reading what you replied to on Benjamin's post one thing you said if the shingles were not caught early enough to control the pain you could suffer from PHN and that is what I have, my doctor didn't catch it for 2 in a half months and my pain was unbearable..I'm now into it for a little over six months..but after four months of it I was able to bear the pain, the thing is I keep getting a small bit of infection in my right lung and pain it feels like maybe my liver area under my ribs but again the rash stays local on my right foot..it is now numb and sensitive at the same time it concerns me with the pain that I have now I'm getting ready for a MRI my doctirs orders from the consistent pain it feels like the gallbladder or liver somewhere deep in my body that I cannot understand do you have any insight on this that you can possibly shed some light to give me some relief of worrying so much anything would help my doctor really don't know too much about shingles

• Posted

Hi Lori

Where do you live and how old are you. Also, do you have any other diseases or are on medications?

Best regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry, I am 52 years old and live in Sacramento California. I have thyroid disease hypothyroidism I go to a pain management doctor because I have a herniated disc in my neck and my lower back and also an impingement in my right shoulder
    • Posted

Lori,

If the Herpes Zoster-Shingles is not diagnosed within the first few days, the antivirals are not given, nor strong ie Opioids given, the virus replicates like wildfire and causes more damage to the sensory nerves below the skin. When this becomes chronic, more than a month, the body forgets to turn off the signals screaming PAIN, and keeps on firing.

The best options are to use certain medications that interfere with nerve conduction. Neurontin is the first choice, but most physicians fail to taper up the dose to a therapeutic level. Neurontin helps with the neuropathic pain.

The second medication(s) are the SNRIs, either Cymbalta or Venlafaxine, also tapering up. This is in addition to the Neurontin.

They might add others, if the condition warrants it.

Usually, a neurologist is a better choice in managing the neuropathic pain than a lot of primary care physicians. They know the medications to treat neuropathic pain and aren't afraid to use them.

I hope this has helped you....

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Lori,

Have you thought about surgery for your neck and back ?

• Posted

They have not mentioned surgery to me except for on my shoulder 2 years ago and I refuse to surgery but as far as my lower back and neck no they haven't offered surgery yet

• Posted

Did they give you a corticosteroid injection into your shoulder. Have you had MRIs on the back, neck, and shoulder?
    • Posted

Did you have an epidural corticosteroid for your lumbar spine?

I know a lot ab this too!

• Posted

Yes I have had a lot of cortisone shots in my shoulder and I have had MRIs on my neck and back I'm getting ready for another MRI for the pain that I'm having to make sure it's from the shingles I have already had 2 CT scans and all it showed was cyst on my liver I have never really liked taking pills but I just noticed a new rash on my foot today so I guess I'll take the antiviral medication I don't like taking it cuz I'm kind of scared of it because my doctor just gives me a big bottle of them and I don't know really when to stop taking them

• Posted

Good morning was wondering if shingles can cause stomach pain ? I Fee like I have very bad acid reflux but

I am on Prevacid, my shingles is on my left outer arm near my arm pit 

• Posted

Hi Audrey!

I am sorry you are suffering with this disease.

The dermatome(s)on is/ are affected on your arm is/ are C8 9 10 11 12 or T-1.

The dermatomes affecting your stomach area causing burning sensation could include T-7, 8, 9.

The Antivirals, if you are taking one, can cause heartburn, especially if you are susceptible to it.

As you are having severe heartburn, and perhaps other symptoms, the wisest course of action would be to see a physician to evaluate you. He/She would need to take a comprehensive history and perform a comprehensive physical exam, including heart lungs, and abdomen. Many organ systems can mimic heartburn, besides heartburn including shingles, a heart attack, pneumonia, to name a few.

It just may be the antiviral causing increase heartburn, but my philosophy is,

When in doubt,

Check it out!

Please let me know what they diagnose.

Please go today!

Best Regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Yes Benjamin I started with the rash on my foot and ended up with the pain in my upper right rib area actually it would be my long and my liver so yeah for some reason you can get the rash in one spot and the pain in other areas

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.