Terrible PVC's after eating.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi everyone I'm a regular on here and up until recently I've been pretty stable on flecainide at a low dose. But lately I am getting terrible strong PVC's after I eat. At first it was almost exactly 2 hours after lunch so I started eating only half of my lunch and the rest later in the afternoon. That helped. No PVC's or very few. Weird thing is now they have moved to after my dinner. This is happening every flipping day. I take a digestive enzyme with dinner. But I swear to God there is a button in the stomach area or small intestine that gets pushed or something and bam off go the PVC's. Problem is that these can quite often go into full blown A Fib. sad. Anyone else have this strange phenomenon?

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What are PVC's?

• Posted

Premature ventricular beats as opposed to rapid irregular beats of atria. Pvcs are benign skips. Mine however couple with pacs irratically and put me in afib sometimes. Not always.
    • Posted

Ya mine are probably PAC's and PVC's. It's just plan nasty. Lol ugh I really wish I was one of those who don't feel any symptoms with there A Fib like my dad.

• Posted

G'day there,

Well your self dignosis is almost there .... not quite a button, BUT the Vagal Nerve. Briefly, the Vagal Nerve is a major nerve in the central nervous system which controls both the heart AND the digestive system. I do suggest you 'Google' Vagal Nerve or Vagus Nerve and you will learn much more than I can ever explain on here.

Some 4 to 6 months after I was diagnosed with AF I found food triggered an AF event. This was accompanied by massive, massive bloating, diahorrea, burping and loud intestinal gurgling. Not all at the same time but always one, and quite at random. The bloating was the worst and most common,  I could feel it put pressure and pain around the heart region of the chest. 

My GP had tests done as to whether I had IBS or Coeliac Disease - all clear. I was offered other tests but rejected that.

I went to a Nutritionist who put me on a course of probiotics and suggested changes to my diet, i.e. Gluten Free, wheat free and also adapt aspects of the FODMAPS diet. I did this around July 2010 and my 'gut behaviour' gradually improved and kept on improving. My last recorded AF event was in April 2015. Since the original diet change I have had to constantly be aware of what I eat and modifying it is a work in progress.

Hope that helps - also 'Google' FODMAPS if you aren't familiar with the diet.

John

• Posted

Sorry, read my answer to sandisshealthy. That was meant for you.
    • Posted

Hi John thanks for your reply. Ya I've always thought the vagus nerve was involved. And I actually have scar tissue in that area due to open heart surgery when I was 3. I had a ventricular septal defect a very common birth defect. So yes I do believe this is an issue but to find someone to acknowledge this is next to impossible. Also I am, gluten, dairy, fat and chocolate freely lol. Oh and no alcohol either. And have been for quite some time. I'll review the fodmaps diet again and see if there is more I can change. Thanks so much

• Posted

Wow this as really helped me I have diverticuler and really bad acid reflux plus a MRI as picked up what may be Chrones after. Certain foods I can feel my missed beats I once ate a full box of chocolates and I went into Af bad so maybe this nerve thing is the key to my afic 😳

• Posted

Hi John hope you are doing well. I started the FODMAP diet yesterday and interestingly I had a good day lol. On to day two. So my question to you is :how long before you found things were changing and after six weeks were you able to reintroduce some foods back? Also what foods or food groups still trigger problems for you? Also how do you add and save a forum to your own profile I can't seem to figure this out and how do you private message someone? Thanks for your help lol.

• Posted

Hi Sadie iv been doing it too I'm amazed how it helps iv only had a cpl of flutters in two days il follow this thread as it's been so helpful , regards BeaPlus drank lots of water

• Posted

Hi Bea ya funny thing is I had already eliminated a lot of the foods but there were still a few I hadn't like nectarines which I had been eating 2 a day for a couple of months almost the same time the PVC's started up. Plus I was a big eater of cauliflower and Broccoli so I've removed those offenders lol. I'm very interested in seeing we're this takes me. Yes I also find lots of water helps especially when I get a long run of flutters.

• Posted

I cut out alcohol two years ago but did think chocolate was a culprit too but sugar seems to be another I thought fruit too so let's hope we are going to see much improvement now I'm feeling positive 😊

• Posted

Yes I'm feeling hopeful too Bea. Let's hope together lol. We can do this. Let's conquer this!

• Posted

Yes we will before I came on here I felt odd one out and isolated with the afib but your right we can do this 😊👍

• Posted

Hi sandiishealthy, 

Sorry this is a bit late, been flat out at work and flat out partying last night for my birthday. Lol!

So, it was about April 2010 when I made the food/AF connection. I saw Nutritionist in July 2010 and it was around September/October 2010 when I saw the first small signs of change and that was measured by the reduction in the symptoms I orginially described to you. IT WAS NOT measured by how much or what sort of food I could eat or even by returning to my original eating practices. 

That became a work in progress which was to continue to late 2012. During this time I found my AF events were reducing. I think mainly because I was calming the vagal nerve, thus calming the 'gut', By early 2013 improvements continued and I just continued 'playing around with foods'. In effect I did a 'micro study' of everything I ate. I took my time, no hurry. My point is that I figured I'd spent years poisoning and destroying my 'gut flora' it is a dead certaintity that It wasn't gonna be repaired quickly. So I just took my time, baby steps, each step had to be a step forward - I'm not into retracing my steps. Each baby step had to be a winner. Right, so, foods ? Crikey, where do I start here ? Strawberries are OK, Raspberries are not. Hard cheese like Edam is OK, a soft cheese like Brie is not. Gluten and Wheat are right out. Long green beans (Runner beans), baked beans and peas are out. Rice products are OK. Full cream milk is OUT, semi skimmed is OK. Yoghurt is out. No added salt. No added sugar. Pastry - this is still very much a danger area ! even gluten free pastry - this is something I am investigating still. I love gooseberry pie, gooseberry bit is fine pastry bit ain't. Same with Red currents. Onions are OUT, yet I can handle a shallot no sweat. Radishes are fine. Lettuce is OUT ! Tomatoes are OK in small doses. Rocket is in but only occasionally. Real ales are out and there are only 2 brands of lagers I can have. Wines and G & T are OK. Tea and Coffee no problem.

The point I must make is all our bodies are different and anyone reading this I am sure will be able to identify with the various foods/drinks I've mentioned. But no matter what I've written it is only good for my body..... sorry guys .... but thats a fact. As sure as our genetic predispositions exist ... they will always influence our dietry outcomes. Whats good for the goose ain't necessarily good for the gander ! Reading labels on food packs has now become a compulsion for me and should be for anyone 'cos even a trace of an ingrediant in a packet can spell trouble. 

So how do I know I'm winning - well its simple. When my chest, my breathing and my gut feel 'LIGHT' I'm in rude health (as they say) when my chest, my breathing  and my gut feels 'HEAVY' then I know AF is lurking. Interestingly, when the heaviness exists my blood pressure shoots up from its daily resting average of 126/73 to 160/90 or higher. It then takes around 5 days for the digestive system to retrun to normal and my blood pressure also returns to average. There is no affect on the heart rate - Bisoprolol keeps that stable at around 65 to 67 bpm.

Hope this helps you. I'll have a look at your other questions in a few hours.

John

• Posted

Hey John thanks for your reply. I'm on day 3 of fodmap and no PVC's which I'm a little surprised at however I think the culprit has been nectarines as I was eating 2 a day. Ya my gut also takes several days to recover after the wrong foods. I'm curious to know if you get extra beats or skipped beats as a reaction to the wrong food? Also I found that anything with lots of yeast in it such as beer will react almost instantly. And wine is made with very little. I used to love a light organic beer. Not now sad it's one of my worst offenders. So I wonder if it's the yeast that is giving you the same problem when you have a beer. One other question, so in your case you do not feel the size of your meals or the frequency of them has played a role in the A Fib attacks you've had? So far you've been the closest to how I feel about what's happening and why. I never thought I would find anyone who presents symptoms as I do and has the same thoughts on how and why etc. You have given hope John smile. Thanks

• Posted

Hi sandiishealthy,

No, no extra beats or skipped beats. At least not now I've got it all under control. Yeah, the yeast thing is the problem I had with real ales. The lager beer  I drink these days only has hops and barley. No yeast or wheat or gluten.

Initially, I didn't change the size of my meals. Nowadays I have small portions only. And, of I get a large portion I'm not afraid to leave food uneaten on the plate. I only have 1 main meal a day, breakfast is a plate of Rice Krispies, Crispbread and marmalade and a coffee. Lunch is a light snack. I might add the only bread I can eat these days is that made with sour dough - French style.  If I'm really desperate I do sneak a slice of bread but have it well toasted but this is once in a blue moon.

John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.