stomach problems as well?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive just come off a month of antibiotics from my first diverticular attack.Im taking pre/probiotics daily, and am eating soups, eggs, rice,pasta and porridge.

​Im finding my stomach struggles to digest heavy foods like meat ,chicken, fish etc, and its like my stomach acid is full on or off.It almost feels like the whole digestive system has hardened up and given up..Can also feel the diverticular pouch as a sharp pang.

Im also having low peristalsis (movement of bowel).

Anybody relate?

Im worried that this will turn to cancer.Any evidence ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Justin. You are going to be sore for about a month some people are sore for up to 6mths after their flare. Diverticulitis does not cause or turn into colon cancer. Your gastro will want to do a colonoscopy to look for polyps and to make sure the area is diverticula and how severe it is etc.. but don't worry yourself. It took my bowels awhile to get back to normal and also remember that the antibotics can cause side effects with your bowels weeks after finishing them. Hope I helped a little

• Posted

Hi Hollie.

​Its stomach cancer im worried about.My stomach was inflamed for months prior, with reflux problems.

​But l will carry on.Thanks, everyone here helps lots.

• Posted

I too am about a month from my first flare up. Similar diet as yours, however I'm staying away from red meat because it's so hard to digest. I also make drinks with almond milk, peanut butter and a banana - and other drinks I use as a meal replacement. But, I'm either running to the bathroom or have nothing for days! I'm hoping time will heal the infected area. Drink lots of water and try to stay positive. Find a good gastro guy too. Good luck and take care!!

• Posted

We all relate to your state of stress and concern,so, first things first....A month 

on antibiotics ,have given your body a good bashing, ,and is slowly getting rid of them. Ask your doctor ,for some Lactulose  a gentle remover, in fact ,you can buy

this yourself from a chemist. Bowel clearance is paramount. Don't be in a rush

to fill your stomach.small amounts ,little and often   .Cancer is highly unlikely 

as you would have been told by now. 

just get on with your life, and DO NOT STRESS.Try the Acidopholis to put 

some good bugs into your bowels and bits  Your body is sore at the moment

it will get better .Trust me ,,,,, Iv'e been there..rolleyes

• Posted

You might take some comfort from the fact that I have had NO flares

And NO pain in a year ,through taking the Acid------ two every day

Lots of us take it.Don't not eat fruit, ,,,,, but peel them and enjoy

• Posted

Hi Justin, I was diagnosed last year ( by ct scan ) and I've been lucky to only have one flare up since then. However, I am left with a lot of residual pain which does not seem to want to go away. I'm a bit fed up living with it so I'm going to have a bowel rest ( Thanks Jacquline ) for 3-4- days and then slowly introduce soft food. I no longer eat red meat and hardly any other meats and the only thing that I really don't eat is nuts.

Everyone is different, what triggers you may not trigger someone else, you just have to go slowly and see what suits you. I just want this lower tummy pain to go away and I'll be happy enough.

I have never heard of any link between DD and cancer so I'm not going to worry about that. This is a great forum, I've learnt way more on here than from my doctor and everyone really comes to your rescue when your struggling - back to the clear chicken soup and fybogel smile

• Posted

Hi debs, few questions for you.. did you ever follow up with a colonoscopy? I was diagnosed with a ct scan too and decided not to do the colonoscopy. As far as the pain.. sorry but what kind of pain are you having? I've had a lingering pain on my left side..

• Posted

Hi Hollie, No there was no ned for a colonoscopy as the ct scan clearly showed the pouches. My pouches are very low down and so I experience a pain similar to period pain, I also get some left sided pain, this doesnt ever seem to truly go away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.