Suggestions for preventing acid attacks?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all!

Preface- this is a woman's post, but men, please feel free to post any suggestions you have for preventing acid reflux attacks/sudden intense nausea like pre-throw up.

So long story short (I've posted on here a few times), I had GERD, went through multiple tests and medications, but then the past few weeks I've been doing like 95% well!

Unfortunately, while still having GERD and even now when I seem almost completely healed, I've felt it worsen when I approach my period.

The past few days, I've experienced more and more nausea as I get closer to my period of the month but today, I had a big dinner around 7:30 p.m., rested for about 40 minutes, went on a walk, excercised a little after, showered, and was settling down when I started to get it really bad. I felt really full the entire time and although as I'm writing this it's been almost 4 hours since I had dinner, I'm still incredibly full and bloated, which I attributed to my pre-period stage. Anyway, when I started to experience my symptoms, I didn't gag, but I felt like I was really going to throw up (even smelled/tasted the barf in my mouth) about 2 times until I took Tums and then felt the sensation a couple times during the first Tum but felt better during the second.

Personally, my period symptoms get worse every month- I feel more tired and get worse and worse cramps where I'm basically almost dying. So I was afraid my acid reflux symptoms were going to get worse at the same time and I was right...

Anyone have any suggestions for how to prevent acid reflux symptoms pre-period??? Was it because I ate a big dinner? Or does it not have to do with food at all when it's the pre-period stage and it's just your hormonal imbalance (because I read that somewhere)? Any suggestions to prevent the sensation or actual throwing up?? I am deathly terrified of barfing... I haven't done it since elementary school and I'm currently a recently college graduate!

Any and all suggestions are welcome!! Thank you in advance!!!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have had this problem of upset stomach before periods all my life,I believe mine was also due to hormonal changes I never found anything to change this,but I think you should eat smaller meals more often instead of large meals and not eat anything large at that time of night also is not recommended to exercise after large meals.I also take ppi medication to reduce stomach acid if you aren't on medication maybe you should see your doctor

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! I'm currently not on and medication, just probiotic pills and taking some natural tea and honey every now and then to improve my digestion and heal my esophagus! I've had both prescribed and over-the-counter medications, but only after taking the natural things did I start to feel better.

• Posted

Hi RAchel

My reflux is always worse around period time! But having a big dinner late (I try to eat no later than 6.30pm) and excercising is a big no no for me. I have to leave 2 hrs between eating and exercise. But even then I don't exercise in evening (only walking occasionally) definitely nothing which involves bending and squashing stomach.

Have u tried digestive enzymes or sauerkraut? These help with digestion. I think most of us with reflux have problems with digestion. A good probiotic may help too.

I also use dgl licorice instead of antiacids when I have reflux. I do still take gaviscon at night if I'm really bad.

How did u get better??

Good luck Dom

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! Yeah, when I excercised, it was just a walk around the neighborhood and some arm and thigh excercises, all standing up and nothing to do with my stomach.

I got better after watching my diet (cut out carbs and junk food, moderated spicy stuff and other gerd-sensitive stuff that I tested out and realized my body is okay with) and drinking Evodia extract tea and eating a spoonfuls of Manuka honey everyday. I think the Evodia tea seemed to wear off little by little so I started to take probiotic pills and after taking that, I started to feel so much better for a long time, up till this point where I'm having the worst attacks which I hope is just for the time being while I wait for my period sad

I have not tried any of those things you mentioned except probiotic pills! Do you have any suggestions on what time and how to take them??

Thanks in advance!

• Posted

How strange, I've never heard anyone say about the connection between periods and reflux before but I was just thinking that I seem to have it yesterday. I agree with all the previous comments. Big meals are a lot no no for me now and as early as possible. I try and leave at least 3 hours between eating and going to bed and even slouching down on the sofa too soon after eating brings on the reflux. DGL liquorice seems to work for me as well as chewing whitening chewing gum (it has bicarb in it which nutralises acid) and gaviscon advance before bed- not the usual gaviscon. Gaviscon advance has alginate in it which basically forms a thick barrier on the top on your stomach contents helping to keep it down. This is especially good for me because it eases any nausea and my symptoms seem to be caused from reflux in general regardless of whether the acid is reduced. Xx

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! Can you suggest any specific DGL liquorice and gum??

I'm not sure if I'll go back to trying antacids unless it's for immediate relief, like Tums. The more you use antacids, the more it may come back to you in the long run so I'm trying to stay away unless I really feel like barfing in the moment!

• Posted

Sorry can't offer you any help - am pleased to say as a male thanks for the right to follow your notes. I am better qualified now since developing a nice pair of boobs following prostate treatment and hormone prescription! Oncologist told me to take Ibuprofin  and with my Warfarin for arrythimia I ended up with bad ulcers and lost 4 pints of blood about a year ago. They put me on Omeprazole  80mg a day long term and for the last 3 months have bad head pressure and imbalance - the leaflet says lower dosage and only for up to 8 weeks. Last month cut it back to 40 and the . 20mg a day as ulcers healed and am about 80% recovered balance. Talking to Gp to see if I can change to somethingelse for possibly a lesser reaction. Due an endoscopy to check Barretts 7cm. Thank god I don't really have any reflux problems yet apart from a deep tickle. Keep well...

• Posted

hello!

I have prettty bad acid reflux (just came on about 2 months ago)  I first noticed I had a sore throat, so thought it was strep for a while, was put on antibiotics, but the pain never went away & then I noticed it was worse after eating/drinking certain things.  I also noticed from the begining way back in my throat I have white & gray sores/lesions (almost looks like strep throat but it is way further back, can only see at a certain angle with my phone flashlight.  I noticed in your post you said you healed up some ulcers.  My mom thinks these are probably ulcers from the acid damage.  I went to an ENT who did an ensocopy (i think)  through the nose and took a quick look at my throat  He did not see these gray and white spots (which are clearly there!) so I am very frustrated.  Were your ulcers in your throat?  I have been on prilosec for a month now, which no improvemen in the ulcers (slight imrovement in the acid reflux, so I just upped my dosage to 40mg a few days ago)  I am just worried now since the doctor missed them.. what if they are something more serious.  I have googled "throat ulcers" but cant find much on what they'd look like etc.  THank you!!

• Posted

Thanks for your comment! We really don't have any similar issues in common seeing that I have no idea what medications you're mentioning (except Omeprazole) and I don't have any ulcers or Barrett's, but I'm glad you're not experiencing reflux yet... and hopefully you never have to! Hope you get better as well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.