Cyclizine is so dangerous

Posted , 6 users are following.

My mum was admitted into hospital on the 16th of august, she was in because something was wrong with her liver ( nor life threatening ) she was moved from A&E onto an assessment ward, she was been quite sick, ( she is allergic to quite a lot of medication, anti sickness drugs been one of them) a nurse came to her with an injection with cyclizine in it, I asked the nurse what was it in the injection she told me it's an anti sickness drug, I told her not to give her it because she was severally allergic to the drug, the doctor was also there, she don't worry she'll be fine it's a different drug as she started to look through my mum's notes, then said ok we will give it a bit at a time, but the nurse had given her it all. Straight away my mum went drip white she couldn't talk she had cold sweats, she put her hand to her head straight away, they said don't worry we will check her every ten minutes, long story short she got worse her blood pressure shot through the roof 1hr later my mum was fitting was put into an induced coma taken to ICU

She was taken for a brain scan it should she'd had a massive bleed on her brain, she was then taken to another hospital to undergo brain surgery, she was in ICU for ten days, five and a half weeks on she is still in hospital left with brain damage, her MRI scan shows she had no underlying issues that could have coused the brain hemorrhage, only the fact she was given a drug that she was allergic to that sent her blood pressure so high it coursed a bleed on her brain

How can a drug be so so dangerous

It has deverstated our world and ruined my mum's life for ever sad

I would be very grateful to hear if other people have suffered a reaction the same as my mum

I will be writing to the drug company too

Thank you

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

My heart goes out to you and your family.  I have been saying Cyclizine is dangerous for years, but no one will listen. 

The doctor prescribed Cyclizine tablets for my vomiting and nausea. I was in the hospital for a week in 2014 as a result; I suffered severe side effects from taking Cyclizine. I am still experiencing some side effects even now.

My symptoms are chorea, tremors, affecting the head, hands, feet and face neurological disorder characterised by involuntary jerky movements (orofacial dyskinesia),  disorientation, speech problem, blurred vision, hearing problem, breathing problem, hallucinations,  difficulty urinating and loss of balance, I nearly died. 

Keep me posted, as I would like to get a petition to get it banned. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply

The first time she was given it, they have tried to cover up what happened, she was left with shaky hands and short time memory loss, she had been bk to the doctor's numerous times just to be told it was nothing to worry about and it was probably her age ( she was a very fit 71 yr old) now after what has happened this time I am totally sure it was definitely down to the first time she was given it.

I am definitely up for starting a petition

I will not let this drop, I'm going to see a solicitor next week.

I don't care how long it takes to fight, I'm going to fight this all the way.

They have ruined my mum's life and also ours sad

• Posted

It's ashamed that no one wants to take responsibility. I am with you with regards to not giving up until cyclizine is banned. 

What do you think of the title below for the petition?

Ban cyclizine, it's dangerous!

Good luck with everything.

• Posted

Yes definitely start one

I would really like to help you if you would like me to?

Where abouts are you from?

Just let me know how I can help with this

Kind Regards Jo

• Posted

I tried to highlight the danger of Cyclizine last year, but came up against a lot of opposition, some people are reluctant to get involved, because of the lack of acknowledgement from some medical professionals. It's an uphill battle, but,  I am determined to continue with this with the help of others.

I am from Sheffield, where do you live?

I can do with your help; any help will do!

What do you think of the title for the petition?

• Posted

Maybe first of all the the petition should be about bringing more awareness of the dangers of Cyclizine, and just how dangerous it can be.

So maybe

Raising awareness of the dangers of cyclizine!

What do you think?

• Posted

I think it’s a good idea to first focus on raising awareness of the danger of Cyclizine.

Maybe we could look into starting the petition asap.

• Posted

My heart is with your family dear .

23 Nov 2015 I had my fibroid emboilation . During the procedure I had given pump of morphine and lots of other pain relives. I had no food from last 12 hours . After the procedure my pain starts massive ly . Dr advised to drink some water . After that feeling very sick . Nurse asked me , am I allergic to anything.I said no because I was never allergic to anything . So she gave me drip of cyclizine. I was already on oxygen . As that medicine going in my body , I was feeling drowning in the water . Struggling to tell her that what's happening to me . Couldn't breathe. Then she scared press the bell called every one available nurse and put me on bigger dose of oxygen.

Very scary , horrible experience in my life .

Later all they behaved like nothing happened. Before leaving asked do I have allergy of that medicine and she said yes .

• Posted

Sorry to hear about what you went through with regards to cyclizine.

I'm starting up a petition to get cyclizine banned; I will need all the support I can get!

• Posted

Wow, i'm glad i've made the decision to stop this medication this morning! I've been having dizzy spells for a year, been fobbed off with anxiety, deression etc, but now my GP is taking me more seriously and diagnosed Vertigo and a possible inner ear problem and referred me to ENT. On Monday this week I had a really funny turn while dropping my daughter to school. I felt really really dizzy, the worst its ever been, nausea was awful, I had the worst headache and almost passed out. I had a phone consultation appt with a GP who prescribed Citrizine 50mg. I took one that evening when my husband collected them for me. Tuesday I took 3 over the course of the day as advised. Went to bed around 9pm, at midnight I ran to the loo and experienced the worst diarrheoa of my life! I had it all night and all the next day and ever since in the mornings but always have that awful tummy feeling. I carried on with the pills thinking it was just a bug, but its now Friday and i'm still feeling the same. I feel shaky, more off balance that usual, almost not with it, feels like i'm talking funny too. I took the last one last night but have now decided to stop. I went and saw another GP yesterday and he said to carry on taking them, but gave me Betahistine too. I'm going to see how the Betahistine go on their own but yhe Cyclizine can go down the toilet! I have an intolerance to anti inflammatories, they give me the same reaction, wondering if they have some of the same ingredients

• Posted

Excuse my spelling, i'm on my phone and still a bit shaky! Lol

• Posted

How are you getting on with the petition and solicitor? I think a social media group should be started up the dangers of cyclizine. I would be very interested. 
  • Edited

·          

Hi Jojo37. It’s been a while, how is your mum? Hope she is doing a lot better.

Did you have any comeback from the drug company?

Cyclizine has ruined so many lives, according to reports Cyclizine has not been tested fully I know Cyclizine is a dangerous drug and everyone on this forum should get together to start a petition, we all need to support each other.

• Edited

Hi glenna, my mum is doing well thank you, but my sister has given up her job to look after her, she needs 24hr care

It's a ongoing battle at the moment, but we won't give up smile

• Posted

dear jojo37

I'm sorry to hear about the awful experience your mum had. The medical staff should have listened to you that she is sensitive / allergic and been more careful.

I like the suggestion on this forum to raise awareness of the dangers of Cyclizine. if I could make a suggestion, I think it would be helpful if the awareness was specifically around when / for whom the drug shouldn't be used.

I myself have taken Cyclizine (tablet) with no problems and am grateful that there is something to treat horrible nausea. however, we know that for every drug, there are some people who are very sensitive to it, even paracetamol. The effects of taking the wrong thing can be enormously negative and lead to a great deal of suffering. medical staff should be more aware of this and take greater care when choosing medicines for sensitive people.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.