How do I get a repeat prescription?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have nearly finished my mirtazapine prescription, they have helped a lot, and I feel I should continue taking them!

When I ring the doctors the receptionist asks what is wrong, do I just ask for a repeat prescription? Thank you!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes,  of course.  
    • Posted

No not of course. As a practice manager 80% of our requests are ordered online, no need to phone the surgery at all. Just google the name of your surgery to find out their policy. No receptionist should ever ask a patient what is wrong, that's for the dr to ask. They should ask how they can help.

• Posted

Not all practices have online ordering systems. Some have recorded messages prescription lines and there are others where you have to speak with the receptionist.
    • Posted

Many won't accept telephone requests, or handwritten notes.

keep the tear off slip attached to the green prescription. When you need to reorder, tick the required medication and take to surgery. Most have a box to put them in.

• Posted

Yes, Sometimes if it is for the second script the GP may wish to see you, sometimes after a discussion the GP may ask you to increase the dose that may be a standard dose. Discuss all with your GP

BOB

• Posted

Dr's receptionists often come across as nosey, rude, unhelpful and curt. There's a whole list of dos and donts for them to follow. Some of the questions they ask come over as intrusive, but they save the dr's a lot of time

• Posted

Hello vickylou

If you are having problems talking with Reception ask to talk to them in private so that patients in the Waiting Room will not here your discussion.

If you are having bad service and reception is not dealing with you with respect or other problems ask to see the Surgery Manager.

If they are being intrusive with their manner, tell them so, be firm and polite.

Over the years I have been on the Surgeries PPG and sometimes the above sort of thing does happen, I always accept the Patient should be treated with respect, the Practice always agreed with that.

BOB

• Posted

Yes,

When the receptionist asks what is wrong just tell her that you want to order a repeat prescription.

As the others have said, if you feel she is being intrusive then just repeat what you have already said. If you still have problems then the practice manager can help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.