Red blood cells shows anaemia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello there,

My mum just had a blood test which showed that her hemoglobin is low and gp said she is anaemic. Im worried as the doctor said to take the iron tablets for 1 month and if it doesnt improve then they will do further investigations. However she is 48 and she still gets period every month but not so heavy and from what im reading online it says that as she is not having heavy period she might be anaemic due ti interna bleeding but gp doesnt want to do any investigations until after one month if the iron levels dnt improve. Im just scared she was also dieting and lost significant weight and has been stressed and now feels very tired.

What do you think it can be? Anyone been in this situation?

Thank you smile

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi! I'm 45 and have been on iron tablets for one month and although I am feeling so much better ( pretty normal actually ?) the dr wants me to carry on for a further 2 months and then do another blood test. I presume this is because iron levels take this long to get back to normal levels. My periods are not particularly heavy either so I have put it down to donating blood as obviously you lose alot when you are donating I read somewgerecthat it can take several months to recover the iron you lose when donating.The past 3 times I donated my iron was on the low side but still passable to donate so I think the 3rd one made me go anaemic, I'm no Dr but that's what I think. I'm sure your mum will be fine if they were worried they would be doing further checks now and not in a months time, hope this helps x

• Posted

Hello Jane,

She didn't donate blood or anything like that. Im just worried that she lost weight too. So i was thinking if anaemia causes loss of apettite because that what she has. And shes been really stressed these past months and only had light small meals... I was thinking if she did have an internal bleeding maybe she would of had other symptoms too.

Im just soo stressed 🤔I hope everything turns out ok and it is just an anaemia. Its bothering me that they the gp did not run other tests

• Posted

Hi again! I expect you have googled everything to do with anemia ( which is exactly what I did!) There are lots of reasons people become anaemic, one of which is a change in metabolism maybe it could be this? Your mum is at an age where she may be about to start the menopause which could also be a reason! I had to take a stool sample into my dr so they could check for blood there...have they asked your mum to do this? Has your mum had any other symptoms? I went due to feeling very light headed and heart palpatations bothof which ( touch wood) have got better . Xx
    • Posted

Yes i did the same thing and googled but came up with stomach and colon cancer which scared me. What do you mean by a change in metabolism?

I will tell her to ask the gp on mon to due a stool sample.

She just feels very tired and sleepy but cant sleep properly she has been on a diet for like 3 months where she wasnt eating properly and she lost significant weight and she somtimes shaking but i do believe she is also scared as to not have something more serious. She has also been very stressed for the past few months.

When i put those symptoms on google along with low hemoglobin scary stuff came up 😥

• Posted

Hi again!. Just thinking if your mum had been dieting maybe she has overdone it and not been eating enough nutrious stuff that contains all the nutrients we need to stay healthy? Google is the worst thing isn't it? We all do it though don't we?! Hope your mum feels better soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.