Post Uro Lift Doctors Visit

Posted , 19 users are following.

I have a Uro Lift procedure scheduled for 10/25. We spend the winter in Florida starting 1/15. My physician felt the last follow up with him would be 1 month post procedure and would not interfere with travel plans. Seems a bit optimistic . Curious what others have experienced with folloow up visits with their physician.

2 likes, 151 replies

151 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My experience was among the better ones described on this site; I had immediate improvement, and the post-op discomfort was pretty much gone after 10 days.  I was concerned about post-op pain and adequate medication, so I requested ocycodone 5mg just in case; it was not necessary.  I've posted much more detail on other threads here, if you're interested.  I hope yours goes as well as mine did.  The doctor's advice sounds about right to me, the 1 month visit was basically to agree that it worked.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Seems very optimistic...It may take many weeks, months, and/or years to resolve prostate problems which you can verify by reading this forum's post.......

• Posted

Two days post Uro Lift (UL) procedure were rough as very difficult to pee. Nevertheless less by end of 2nd day post procedure I was starting to have real urine flow and bladder evacuation. Stopped Flomax by 3rd day post procedure. From that point on I was peeing like I did when I was a teen. Now age 74. The procedure was performed 4/2016 and no problems since. Also normal ejaculation with sex.
    • Posted

I'm in the dark about the procedure itself, bill69723.  That said, if you could possibly answer a few basic questions, I'd be most appreciative.  Is this procedure FDA approved?  Will Medicare cover it?  Does the actual size of the prostate reduce, or doesn't it matter?  Sounds like you've been blessed, and I'm truly happy for you.

• Posted

You asked Bill, but he hasn't responded yet.  FDA approved four years ago (I had my Urolift done by the guy who did the trials for the FDA).  Medicare covers it, yes.  Prostate size not reduced per se, rather the inner parts (that are squeezing your urethra) are pulled away and secured (via tiny cable) to the outside of the prostate (Think: donut with a whole made larger by doing the same thing; no roto-rootering!),  Two days after my op, I flew from Satl Lake back to PA; on the third day post-op, I stacked a half-cord of firewood, no problems.  

• Posted

Hi Kenneth I read your sorry about the Urolift procedure.  Where did you go in Orlando to get more info about this procedure.  Thanks!
  • Posted

Vschus, it's variable, how the recovery will be.  Mine is a good report, as posted elsewhere here, following my Urolift in December.  I was two days in convalescence following morning surgery in Salt Lake, on a Tuesday, then flew home to Pennsylvania on Thursday, and Friday I stacked half a cord of firewood, with no problems.  I took pain meds Tuesday to Friday, then I was done with them.My doctor has done hundreds of Urolifts (He did the FDA trials, which is why I chose to fly 2,000 miles.), and I experienced no complications.  Peed like it was a firehose immediately when I climbed off the operating table!  I would venture that if you are not experiencing pain or bleeding after the first 1-2 weeks, then you will be fine.  I would, as a caution, ask your uro-doc to give you the name of someone near you in FL, just in case.  Let him decide whom to recommend!

• Posted

Hi, Your Uro has performed hundreds of Uro Lift ,Thats the guy i want. I started cic,and and im

hoping this and my avordat and flomax will get me out of renention?If around the January i feel better i would like to know where this Uro is .

i want to thank you for all the info you have giving me.  Did you have rentention before you had the uro lift.

thanks, 

• Posted

Hello.  You should not have a problem.  I had my Uro-lift done in April of 2015.  It was a Monday.  Had a catheter.  Had to drive my son the next morning downtown for Jury duty.  Was fine.  Had the catheter out on wed and I was good to go.  I don't know if your doctor is going to put a catheter in but it would be the best for you.  Sometime when they do a procedure on the prostate it can get swollen and make it hard to pee they you have to go to the ER and have a catheter put in.  Have him do it while your out.  Much better and less pain.  I was good in a week.  The day the catheter came out it did burn when I went to the bathroom but all was fine.  Doing great and you should be good to  Ken   PS the day the catheter wear a pad because you may need to go to the bathroom and you may no make it.  After I left the doctors office I went out and from the driving it made me go...This is after they put in 250 cc of fluid. 

• Posted

Kenneth, we had different experiences.  I don't know why you say, "I don't know if your doctor is going to put a catheter in but it would be the best for you."  It may have been best for you, but it seems to me best not to make blanket recommendations.  As Vschlus can see, experiences vary.  I had a potentially difficul Urolift (small---38g prostate), and yet there was no need---none---for a catheter to be installed.  Didn't need one to pee for any of the recovery time.  Vscluss might need one, but I've not heard it as a blanket or even probable need.  As long as he is able to pee (Most docs want you to stay until they see that you're able to.), he's likely to be alright.

Also, you mention him "being out."  A standard Urolift should not require total sedation!  I was not anesthetized, only given local pain killers.  And  experienced no problems.  

Urolift is a direct, non-slicing procedure; it should be clear within days, if the procedure works for you or not.  You may need to consider additional measures (as I am, due to permanently stretched-out bladder, unrelated to Urolift), but if your doc is experienced, you should be fine.

And, it's a little late to mention experience, but I hope you checked him out, and found that he's been doing this op for years!  My uro-doc, who tried to push a TURP on me two years ago, got on the Urolift bandwagon a year ago, and wanted me to be one of his first patients for it!  I declined, and went with the experienced doctor...

• Posted

As you know all men heal is diffrent ways.  When I had mine done.  My urologist and I talked about the catheter.  Because I have a problem peeing on demand.  No matter how much I drink.  If you tell me you need me to pee I can't but as soon as I leave the office I have to head for the bathroom. I sat one day at Quest Labs for 7 hours before I gave them a sample.  Been like that for years I was told by my urologist that it is up to the doctor if he feel that you need one.  I know there have been a few men on here that had the urolift done that ended up going to the ER after they went home because they could not pee.  ChuckP was one.  Don't remember the other.  When I had my urolift done I had a general anaesthesia did not feel a thing I was out.  When I woke up I was sent home a hour later.  I was clear of blood the night of the procedure..My doctor has done about 200 over the last 3 years.  I trust him to do the best for me  Take care  Ken

• Posted

Yes, Kenneth, we had different experiences, for sure!  :-)   And of curse, if you have trouble peeing normally, then you don;t want to chance blowing up like a balloon while recovering from the implant installation!  

And my comment about experienced doctors was intended for Vschus; sorry for the confusion!  I'm glad you were not a practice case for a newbie!!!  :-D

• Posted

My doctor is very good He's about 42 and that was the first thing he offered me after the meds did not work right.  Not like alot of the others They like to push that Turp.  I think that's because that's all they know.  Have a good weekend  Ken

• Posted

Agreed, most uro-docs only know TURP and don't want to learn something new... Looks like you got a good one!  :-)  Where is his practice located?  I had to fly all the way to Salt Lake CIty from PA!  Good night and I'll look for an answer in the morrow!  

• Posted

I live in Orlando Florida  He's only about a mile away from me...Have a good night

• Posted

Hi Ken, Did you have to do these tests to see if you quailfy for the Uro Lift>

Urodynamics,cystoscopy,prostate ultta sound.I f i have a medium lobe {is this the right word } then i won't quailfy for Uro Lift??

thanks,

• Posted

Hey Frank.  I have a stricture and have it checked sometimes when he check me ( cystoscopy in office )  My stricture was fine but he could not get the scope in the prostate so he offered me the urolift to bring it apart.  As far as I know which my doctor has said that if you have a mild medium lobe they can still do a urolift.  You just have to tell them that is what you want.  Don't let them force you into anything. The doctor is going to tell you that the turp is better.   Stand firm with the doctor Tell him  No Turp I want to try the urolift.  Ken  

• Posted

Hi Ken,Thanks for that info. Did you have to do all these tests? Urodynamics,

Prostate ulltra sound.

cystoscopy?

• Posted

Frank, I just had a REZUM in mid-August and I had All the Tests you mentioned prior to me having the REZUM procedure..The Uro Docs do those to help them determine your specific prostate problems and treatment options....GOOD LUCK!...
    • Posted

Hey Frank.  The only thing my doctor did was the cystoscopy in the office.  When he could not get the camera in the prostate he know there was a problem.  I had the uiro-lift done 4 weeks later.  All I payed was  my co pay of $200 for the surgery center.  Ken 
    • Posted

HI KEN, Is URO LIFT surgery? I thought they just put implants in to open up the prostate? No cutting?I'm i right?Was yours done in the office or the hospital?

Thanks for the info Ken>

• Posted

Yes, implants, and no cutting.  That's the advantage of the procedure.   I'm not Ken, but I had my Urolift done in the doctor's office, under local anesthesia.  

• Posted

Frank, as noted by cartoon man, UroLift does not involve cutting in the sense of surgery. There is stapling that involves pinning the UL struts to the prostate and therefore there may be some minimal brief bleeding. But surgery, no.
    • Posted

Frank it is a procedure.  Not a surgery.  They go through the penis to the prostate and put the implants in.  I had my done in a hospital and had general anesthesia  Went home a hour after I got up...Ken
    • Posted

Hi Ken,Your urologist sounds like he has a lot of experience with Uro Lift.Was yours done in the office ,or at a hospital? You said you had general anesthesia. I was thinking the same thats what i want. Where is your doctor located?

thanks ,frank,

• Posted

Ken did you have a lot of side effects when you went home? 

i have had a cather in for 4 months,taken out once a month. My medicine is not working. Do you know if having a cather that long makes it difficullt to have the uro lift? I am going to see a new urologist Oct 4, the office says he does uro lift. I don't know how many times he has done this.i'm going to ask that question,i hope i get an honest answer.

what is the name of your urologist?

thanks  frank

• Posted

HI Ken  Happy hollidays,i hope you stay healthy. I have one question? MY uro said i could not have Uro,Lift it doesn't work if you have retention?

i cannot pee without doing CIC? Would you ask your  URO If this is true about Uro Lift?

Thanks  a lot Ken,

• Posted

I had some test before but when he did a scope to check my stricture the stricture was fine but he could not get the camera through the prostate to check the bladder.  It was swollen shut.  So that when he said the the urolift would be good for me to open be up.  When I ask my doctor before he said that he had goo results with the urolift and retenion. But he also said that if it does not help it will make it easyier to do CIC because the catheter will go through the prostate easy.  You need to tell the doctor you don't want any of the surgery and the only thing you want is to have the urolift.  Any of the surgery you have you wil have to do CIC anyway so why have a major surgery.  You need to make it as easy for you as you can.....Ken  Urolift only.

• Posted

Hi Ken, , All my emails from this forum got deleted. Can you email me Jim Janes forum. i have a question for him i would like his expertise .

Thanks  Ken

frank,

• Posted

RE 'being out'

A Dr's first 20 UroLyft's may require that. After becoming experienced, just a local will be enough. Do your recearch.

My UCSF urologist wanted me to be his first UroLyft Pt. No thanks.

I flew to Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN to have HeLOP. So glad to have the Doc who teaches HoLEP do mine. Amazing recovery 2 days post op.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.