8 weeks post nissen fundiplication - silent reflux

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 8 weeks post nissen fundiplication surgery. I suffered for 3 years with the usual symptoms of silent reflux.i had been on high doses of lanzoprazol which managed my symptoms to a degree. 2 days post op all my original symptoms began to return very aggressively. I can feel the reflux coming up when I did not before. Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone got any wise words. Look forward to hearing from you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laura

I had my Fundoplication in May and I can only say that all of my symptoms have come back now. I was advised by the surgeon to stop taking all medication as I didn't need to after surgery but unfortunately I felt too ill and had to go back to my usual dose of NEXIUM. I wish i didn't have the surgery. I am not sure what to advise, I avoid fizzy drinks, spicy food the usual also try to lead a stress free life, plan ahead, get up earlier in the morning basically avoid rushing around and stressing. Sorry I can't be of much help. Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi Juan. Thankyou for taking the time to reply. I too am back on Lanzoprazole. My consultant is putting me through the battery of tests again. He saying a re do may be in the cards. However I have already decided against it. When I was first diagnosed I would get blood in my saliva in the morning. I was also diagnosed with gastritus and h pylori. This all cleared up 3 years ago but the blood is back again. Its v hard not to be stressed through all of this but I will try. What are your symptoms. Mine are typical lpr?
    • Posted

Hi Laura

My symptoms are feeling bloated, excessive burping, hiccups, sensation of something being stuck at the back of my throat hence difficulty swallowing and short of breath. I've never experienced blood in my saliva though. I am feeling a lot better after two weeks of absolute agony, but still not great and worried about when am I going to have the next bad episode?! Try yoga it helps a lot. Also drinking plenty of water and eating yogurt also helped. Remain strong xx

• Posted

Hi Laura

Did you suffer from throat clearing? I am only three days post op and I am still trying to clear my throats which is really frustrating, as it was the main reason I wanted my op.

I came home after three nights due to low oxygen levels and all seems well now except the throat clearing

Lx

• Posted

Hi Louise. Yes I have the phlemy throat going on with the lump feeling. Acid throat ect. I am told that it takes longer for the throat to heal. Its early days for you yet. Keep to the diet. The weeks soon fly by.xx
  • Posted

hi laura,its 14 weeks for me,same op, looks like i have the same probs i was warned by my other surgeon not to get the op, i have seen the surgeon who did the op he said time is a great healer give it another 2to 3 months, there is some improvements so ,give it a while longer dont dispare, i know its awful , you have to think possitive ,i have also had major other probs ,you can defeat the dam thing,dont give up fight the fight. john.
    • Posted

Hi john. Thank you for replying. I am due to have the hp manometry on Wednesday to see how much I am refluxing. I had a barium swallow last week and was told that the wrap was still in place and I was not refluxing at that time. Yet I am still getting the phlemy throat. Is your surgeon saying that the wrap tightens over time. I am confused. I hope you have overcome your other major problems.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.