Does anyone know what this is?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

First time ever using a forum on mental health. I don't know where to start, I'm curled up in bed atm feeling very empty.

Ever since a kid in school I've always had these episodes that would last for a few weeks to months, throughout the year where I feel really worthless and depressed (if I'm using that correctly). I used to feel like I'd never get anywhere in life or amount to anything and nobody will ever love me etc the usual bad thoughts.

Sometimes it would get so bad I wished I was dead. Note: I would never kill myself and have never self harmed but I had feelings of wanting to be dead or in a coma or something. This was in school too where I have no worries and well life is pretty easy. I used to cry in the shower every day for weeks, then be decent for some months then it would come back. Always felt out of my control and like I was forced to feel that way (mental issues run in my family wouldn't be surprised if I get a depression diagnosis one day).

Anyway fast forward I have been in a bit of an emotionally abusive relationship with a girl who has serious trust issues, anxiety and is pretty bipolar (sorry to anyone who has it but she does have mood swings). We ended it but it's taken its toll on me and it feels as if it's triggered those depressive thoughts and stuff again. Past couple weeks appetite off sleepy most of the day sleeping all day, feeling a panicky awful feeling in my chest constantly and anxiety like symptoms. Which is weird cuz I'm pretty extroverted and confident so it sucks. Feel empty and like I'm in a prison in my mind. Anyone who wants to know more just post and I'll tell you.

Thanks. :3

4 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Timeless,

This sounds like depression. The lack of appetite, sleeping a lot, feelings of worthlessness, sadness are all.symptoms of a depressive episode.

• Posted

Hey,

Thank you for your reply. I figured as such. I just gotta be strong now, or else I'll succumb to it.

• Posted

Take it from me, don't try to stick it out. Get yourself to a doctor and get yourself on antidepressants. Just like any other condition, the longer you leave it untreated the worse it gets.

• Posted

I firmly believe I can control this prison in my mind, after all it is my mind. I don't like the idea of antideps tbh sad.

• Posted

Sorry I can't offer any help or advice, but just want to let you know how you're feeling coz I'm having the same emptiness and worthlessness.

• Posted

Hey,

It's fine, I'm very sorry to hear you're in that position I hope you beat it! How long have you had these feelings?

• Posted

Hi there,

Sounds like you have depression and maybe anxiety. They are two separate things, both of which I have had on and off for years. They are like that, they can go away and come back over and over. You don't even need to know specifically *why* you are feeling that way. It just happens sometimes. I also went through several years in my younger days where, as you described, I would literally feel empty inside. I wasn't happy, I wasn't depressed. I was working yet had no goals, and couldn't understand how to set and achieve any. I didn't even know what I wanted. And it bothered me constantly to feel empty. I'd rather feel sad than empty, because at least the sadness was identifiable. The emptiness was just a gray void that made no sense. My grandpa died in his sleep of a heart attack, and I used to lay in bed at night wishing for the same thing, that I would just go to sleep and not wake up, even though I was way too young at the time to have a heart attack.

I too have been in a relationship with someone who was bipolar, so I can imagine what you must have gone through. I lived with my college boyfriend for 3 years, he was bipolar, and at times very unreasonable and uncontrollable. He went through paranoid periods where he refused to take his meds for it. When he was happy, life was wonderful, but when he was upset or mad, life was hell. Eventually I ended the relationship and moved on to something else. I once had a shrink explain to me that it is very difficult for a person with bipolar disorder to calm down and be reasonable, due to the chemistry in their brain and how it works incorrectly. Where a typical person who is not bipolar might take a few hours or a day to get over an arguement or mishap, a person who is bipolar will take days or even a week or more before their brain chemistry balances out again. Makes sense.

Many people go though periods where they feel life is overwhelming and they don't know how to achieve what they want, and that they are all alone and nobody loves them. This is very common. At least you can have some consolation in knowing how much others feel like this and don't say so. Sleeping alot and not eating much (or too much) are depression symptoms. Feeling panic and/or anxiety is also fairly common and it isn't unusual to have depression and anxiety at the same time. One can cause the other and many people experience this.

What you can do about it is truly up to you. Some people find it helpful to find a therapist and start taking meds for it. There are many of them available. Personally I have never liked any of the results I got from antidepressants, and prefer to take a more holistic approach to my problems, such as making myself try to live as normally as possible; getting a normal amount of sleep, eating good things when I should, taking vitamins, and exercising when I can make myself do it. I know from personal experience that exercise is a very powerful tool against depression. While still in college, I was once living in the very northwestern corner of California next to the ocean. It gets very foggy and rainy there and there isn't alot of sunshine. Hence I got horribly depressed very quickly, and stayed that way for months. One day my roommates got me to go to the weight room with them to work out. I worked out longer than everyone else, and felt awesome for 3 days straight afterward. As long as I made myself exercise, I didn't get depressed then.

This is not to say you shouldn't seek the advice of a doctor or therapist for your problem. Just because it doesn't work for someone like me doesn't mean it won't work for someone else such as yourself. Everyone is different. Eventually you will start to learn over time what works for you and what doesn't. Some people just see a therapist for advice and help without getting prescription meds.

But the best advice I can share that you can do right now that won't hurt at all, is to get up and make yourself do something. The only piece of good advice the worst doctor I ever had gave me was, "Go outside and go for a walk if you feel depressed. Even if it's just to the end of the block and back." I took his advice and started making myself walk a little farther each day unitl eventually my daily one-block walk turned into a daily 3-mile run.

Be easy on yourself. It is hard to get things done when you're depressed. Even if you just make yourself get out of bed and function, go to work or school or whatever you do daily, tell yourself that you accomplished something good. When you are depressed even baby steps can be hard. I like to write my accomplishments down even if they are small, such as "Today I washed the dishes". There is a saying I like to live by to help me not feel like a failure at everything I do, "Let whatever you do today be enough".

I hope this helps a bit. At least know that you are definitely not alone, that many people feel like you do, and there are ways of dealing with it, provided you can see them through the darkness. Best of luck and health to you.

• Posted

Hey,

I'm sorry about the grandfather, this was a beautiful reply very descriptive. It's weird I think similar, I know from experience exercise is a great way to fight the pain and bad thoughts away, but I haven't been in about 6 months I need to start it up soon. I really don't wanna end up on prescription antideps unless I-really- need them. And I'm scared of being diagnosed in case it triggers me off and I end up succumbing to it because it's "out of my control". Thank you so much for your story, and best of health n luck to you too smile

• Posted

Hi Timeless - sorry to read of your situation. Many of us here understand what you are feeling. It sounds like depression that strikes unexpectedly in a seasonal manner. You need to see your doctor to discuss these episodes. Meds may be prescribed. You should also ask to be referred to a counsellor/psychologist to discuss triggers and oping skills. It's fortunate you are out of that emotionally abusive relationship, but it still requires the mourning of that loss. It's up to you to help yourself, so take that first step - book an appointment with your doctor. Be honest about your situation - and don't be afraid. You are doing the right thing by reaching out. You are not alone.

• Posted

I don't like the idea of meds tbh, but thank you for your reply. I'm scared of being diagnosed too, because I'll have a reason to not do anything, to be weak because it's "out of my control".

• Posted

Hi having read your initial post and your responses I understand your reasons for not wanting medication. I went to the doctors recently because of anxiety issues and am now taking medication (I really felt I needed that kind of help) but also I have booked to do some wellness modules so it isn't a case of 'not having to do anything' and 'being weak' I feel I have gotten quite a bit of work ahead of me to get this thing sorted out in my head and to move forward because although I have chosen to take medication for now I don't want that long term.

Some options available to you:

On this website search for depression, anxiety or both- there are several online leaflets or

Search for 'moodjuice' or 'beating the blues'

There is a lot of information and resources for self help.

Wishing you all the best

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for the reply, I hope your anxiety issues clear and the meds help. I'm hopefully going to see a doctor soon so I'll know what I have and although I'm fixed on holistic methods to help myself atm I appreciate the information.

Things are looking better and feeling better, being busy with work and all. We can all fight off these demons 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.