I'm new 😳 . THR in 11 days . I'm 35 , bit worried

Posted , 16 users are following.

Worried about the first few days / weeks after . Weather I should be awake for the op or asleep. What should I take to hospital? . Any advice would be great xxx

2 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm new too. Not done it yet - I'm on 8th November. So I don't have the experience of others here. But there'll be loads of advice. I have already done over my house for coming back, so I can get used to working with it being different. One great idea someone told me about is "recovery stations". Little boxes of all the stuff that you would use, ordered and placed strategically in the main living room. The idea is to have things within reach of your chair so that you aren't trying to run around finding things for the first period when you can't cope as well. I he one with my colouring books (new hobby having been laid up a lot this summer!), one with personal bits for grooming etc., one with bits for my dog. All of those, plus the remotes and a kindle and iPad, and I can happily live!

• Posted

Thank you Beth x I too have been laid up for the whole of the summer (and a bit longer ). I love the idea of boxes of essentials , Iv brought some DVDs and books . I'm thinking of getting a bell 😂 So I can ring for assistance. Either that or a megaphone? The trouble is I have 3 children. I'm just going to have to call on people to help x

• Posted

Hi I had mine left hip 5 days ago I took in hospital my night clothes toiletries something to read phone I pad some snacks I was worried but I worried about nothing on day two I walked with zimmer in morning sticks in afternoon by day 3 I was home the hardist thing I found was my leg was like a dead weight and it was hard getting the leg on and of the bed. I had spinal and loads of sedation next thing I new I woke up in recover feeling cold but I soon warmed up the unpleasant thing was using a bed pan the first night I do not want to do that experience again I use full thing I found was I got some chair raisers for my recliner and a orthopaedic cushion so very comfy through the day hope this helps
    • Posted

Ohh 😰 The bed pan sounds unpleasant . It's so helpful to know a little of what to expect x 5 days ago 😱 Bless you lovie 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 many prayers xxxx

• Posted

Hi, I don't remember a bed pan but I do remember throwing up, that's when I discovered I was allergic to morphine.  My operation was about 3 years ago and I still feel the dead weight.  I'm having my otherside done in 2017.

• Posted

Hi Ladies,  Bobbie, very normal to worried, I went back and forth on spinal and sedation or GA, funny how things work out, they did the spinal and it didn't work so gave me the GA anyway. Woke up in pain they took care of it right away.  They took me in the OR at 7:20am I was out like a light  by 7:30, surgeon talking to my husband at 8:30 saying all was done. I was back in my room by 10:05.  I was walking with a walker by 2 pm. I was lucky had a catheder the first day till 6 am next day. Never looked at my book or phone just the tv, never touched a snack.  I set everything up before I went in, medications next to my recliner, nail stuff, lotion, lipstick, laptop. My husband had to lift my leg onto the bed for almost a week, I used a step to get up on the bed and slide my butt back ( we have a high bed) kept a king size pillow under operated leg for 2-3 weeks. Slept only on my back till this week, I am 6 weeks post op and turned the corner this week.  Many people will share with you, keep up the pain meds and keep in mind it is as much a emotional rollercoaster as physical.  It is easy to over due it and then you will back slide a bit but each day get better. Wear lose pull up clothes like sweat pants, slip on shoes if you can, I am in the south so didn't need socks or closed shoes. I got a handicapped sticked for my car before surgery.  Bought a cane, bought a walker, bought a shower bench. My insurance paid for a bedside commode with rails I used in the bathroom as a toliet riser. Make sure you get 3 grabbers, you wil drop things and need them, they are fabulous. Have lots of different shapped and sizes of pillows. Get sleeping pills from your Dr, you will need them. I had my pedicure and nails done 2 days before surgery.  Have light foods for first few days the pain meds can make it so you won't want to eat heavy. Wishing you the best. Use you tube and do post op exercises get those muscles tight and in good shape it will help you!

Good luck, xoxo Annette we are all here for you.

• Posted

Thank you so much Annette , so much information there I had to read it twice 😍. I'm in the south east ,shoe wize ? was wondering if flip flops would be OK ?? Iv got sleeping pills ,and will buy extra grabbers . Was thinking I'd take some protein shakes in , as I get so constipated with painkillers. I'm on morphine now 😖 ( not nice ) and have to take loads of laxatives. I might see about getting a walker for the house . I'm on crutches now . XXXX

• Posted

Hey Bobbie, I am in SC ny way of NYY, movd here 3 yrs ago, NO FLIP FLOP, you will be on your arse!  I have had no toes done, never waering flip flops, you need support, thrust me.  Boy if you were any where near Greenville Co SC I have all these thing I could lend you, where are you?? I love EAS shakes from Walmart, 17 grams of protein.   ( a walker is a good idea, I bought on off amazon with wheels I think one like the hospital would be fine and prob half the price.  Do the spinal now what you can do is watch a real surgery on you tube, freaked me out, I think you will be fine. 

Hugs  ( just got out of the pool firstt time in almost 7 weeks)

• Posted

No no no flip flops

Stable shoes next several months only

PROMISE

Jozie

• Posted

Regards shoes, nothing is going to fit you for a few weeks post surgery, swelling seems to move right down your leg and even your feet seem to get swollen.

Best shoes I found, even used them in the hospital in place of slippers are crocs, don't buy the expensive brand name crocs, just the cheap ones, they don;t last as long as the real ones, but new colours are a treat every so often, tip the heel strap over so it is on top of your foot and out of the road, nurses impressed when they looked at my footwear, if you haven;t had crocs before, they are dished so you don't side around inside them which makes for better than flip flops, and if you get a size larger you can also wear socks in them, not that you will be able to put on socks. 90 degree rule.

• Posted

I agree 1000% partee!!!!  NO FLIP FLOPS.......in fact nothing BACKLESS!!!  A slip on supportive and comfy tenny is what I'm doing and can be worn with or without socks, but of course for the first 6 weeks a lot of us are in the (what I call) non blood clot knee highssmile  They work out great!

• Posted

Hi Bobbie, I was 30 was I had my first and found this site so helpful. I had an epidural and a general and for the first couple of days slept a lot. One thing I took into hospital was strong coffee to help get things moving after all the drugs lol. Where in the south east are you? I had my op in Bournemouth. I struggled with flip flops and invested in some sketchers go walk - lived in them and uggs for 6 weeks! Box sets are great for those nights where you just can't sleep. Lots of books too - good luck

• Posted

Thank you so much, how many times have you heard " wow your young " and they are right . They have kept me hanging on for years because "I'm too young " I really can't wait to get in there , I couldn't care less about the pain , Iv been in agony for years 😭. Really struggling. Even 11 days to go feels like too long . Sorry I'm whinging now . I have sketchers go walk so that's great thank you . Just wondered if I'd struggle to get them on x I live in Deal Kent , the big day is in Ashford.

• Posted

My 6 year old has just come down with a cold 😱😭😷, I feel dreadful trying to stay away from him .

• Posted

Really love my coffee . Great tip x
    • Posted

Use this forum to whinge away 😊 Yes have heard it many times, even more when I tell them I've had 2 revisions in 5 years! You should get given a long handled shoe horn which will make getting shoes on easier. Also keep a plastic bag handy makes getting into the car a bit easier as you can swivel on it. I was non weight barring for a months so while on two crutches invested in a backpack.

• Posted

Back pack great idea , and carrier bag 👏🏼, why 2 revisions 😰, how long did each last ?? 1 hip or 2 ?? They are giving me a short stem implant, did you have one of them ??

• Posted

I had a customer made implant which snapped - very very rare then the second implant was a longer stem and came loose. Both lasted about 18mths, on 3rd now which is coming up to 2.5yrs (touch wood) I've been unlucky but onwards and upwards 😊

• Posted

Flip lovie , youv really been through it 😰. I'm sorry . Saying a prayer now that you go on for an unusually very long time now without needed anything done xxx thank you so much xxx I'll update on the 6th October/D day xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.