Uncomfortable to sit

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I am almost 5 weeks post THR, I find it very uncomfortable to sit on my bottom (posterior surgery), I have a mound of swelling behind. I presume this is normal and just needs to settle. Can anyone add anything?

Thanks all x 

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This happwnwd to me as well. Felt like i was sitting on something! It does go away i promise!
  • Posted

Hi jo, sorry but this is normal I am nearly six weeks post thr and still got a swollen behind it is a big wound for me this time, I am taking a cushion with me when I go out, good luck Ann
  • Posted

I am 5 weeks with anterior but I'm still icing periodically because swelling goes down when I do this. I wonder if that would help. 

• Posted

I too have this problem. I am 7 weeks out of my second surgery. I feel it on the operated leg. Feels like I'm sitting on a small ball! I find sitting on a soft moist heat heating pad helps some. I also ice. I'm wondering how long does that last?? Hope you get to feeling better. Hugs, 🤗🤗. LD

• Posted

Its right where the buttock and thigh meet.
    • Posted

Um hmm. That is it exactly Linda. 😟

Heat then cold helps me.There is also a lymphatic technique to reduce the swelling. Think of your operated hip and the triangle made from the point of your hip bone out along your groin and a similar line across your stomach extending out about 4 ". Place a cold pack there. Then place a warm pack on the same spot on the opposite hip. Finally plave a large warm pad over the stomach where dozens of small lymph tissues and nodes exist. This configuration somehow activiates the lymphatic tissue to absorb and flush out the swelling fluid through your urine. Got to love it.

I hope you are truly feeling progress as you soon get moved off of zero weight bearing.

Big hugs.

• Posted

Wow Linda that's very interesting!! I will definitely try this. Ever since I started to bear weight all kinds of things are waking up!! New sensations that are so pleasant right now!! My pt said that I would pay for the fact I was non weight bearing for those six weeks! My foot has gotten better! Swelling has really gone down!! No cold foot & leg either!! Some mild tingling as I first step from resting. Thanks for the tip!! Hugs, 🤗🤗. LD

• Posted

Wow - this fabulous news. Great progress that must make up (a little) for your rehab under non-weight-bearing rules. It must have been tortuous.

But yes - I will take the waking up sensations any day, although I know that it will be tough at times too.

Good luck and big hugs

PS - be sure your warm heating pad doestrogen not get to hot other it can actually heat the hardware inside you !! Can't be good..

L

• Posted

Sounds like the 'sitting on a pile of golf balls' felling that so many of us get at some time or other.

See my website for common complications and tips, the address is in my personal info here ...

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and on the moderator's "useful resources" page at

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Hi Jo. Once you have finished any blood thinning medication then get a spikey Pilates massage ball and lean against the ball up a wall and massage it against the cheek of your bum. It will release the those knotty bits. Just slide yourself up and down the ball. I have had both hips done posterior and this along with the bottom clenching exercises really does help. It really does get better in time.
  • Posted

Hi Jo just 11 weeks post tlhr and still feeling like I'm sitting on a lump of concrete still got swelling around the scar area GP said it can takes monthsto get back to normal,I tried driving this week

and that agrevated it even more.

I find the most comfy place for me is to sit /

recline on bed hang in there big hugs xxx

• Posted

Hi Jo! Poor you! Thing's will settle in time. Please remember you've had a major op!OK what sort of chair in your living room do you have? I have an upright computer chair not able to sit on the sofa!! Try & place a cushion under your hi.Keep warm as heat helps.It can take over a year to get back to normal! Good luck Amanda h

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.