RSD holding me back- When is it safe to go to gym after scs implant?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had my stim put in 1/22/16. What's the normal range of time to let the scar tissue slow so I can go back to the gym or is that another thing I need to give up?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had mine 3 months back and have been going to the gym for 2 months. I started off hardly doing anything. A few days back I was given the thumbs up to do whatever. I do however have the paddle leads which can make a huge difference in activities. Oh and i suffer from CRPS II
    • Posted

I have crps I. This is my second implant. I was diagnosed in 9/14 and then had scs 4/15. Worked for 3 months and kept it until it was explanted and a new scs implanted 1/16. My back pain is still pretty bad. I was told they had to dissect a lot of scar tissue to remove leads that went with that system. I was never put on PT. I still get a lot of pain flares maybe that's why they haven't started me on PT. before the accident that caused all this I was at gym 5 days a week now 0. Getting frustrated

• Posted

I was supposed to do PT, but losing my job just before and having to start all over on a $6000 out of pocket, which I just paid $6500 out of pocket for the surgery, and it was the health insurance I had while working) so I was tapped out unable to pay $400 for my first PT appointment. At this point since i was finally feeling better I decided to go workout at the gym, and being very careful. Each doc appointment I was told I could do more. Up until my last appointment stating I could resume normal activities.

I'm lucky as its a bad leg injury (tear in my lumbar disk as-well) that took me down this path; getting CRPS, and finally needing the SCS. From what I read the backs are the harder ones to get the coverage because of scar tissue... Kinda interrupting the signal from the stimulator. So I've been lucky having this change my life. Now dont get me wrong I'm still having to take pain meds which can give ne 100% pain free days. But I've still had some bad flare ups which kept me in bed for over a week.

I would much rather have what I got then what your going through. I'm frustrated however with trying to get a job in the near future? I still have days that I'm in so much pain and when I'm like that i get so tired?

I am hoping that working out on a regular basis will help with the pain? Before the stimulator i couldn't do anything, hardly walk and even with a cane every step was painful. So now I'm able to work out and its said getting stronger can really help physically and emotionally (we will see) so maybe that will help if you can strengthen your back?

I wish I had some magic wand that I could wave; making things better, as i know what it's like living with terrible pain every day! Please keep me posted on things and I'll keep ya in my thoughts and prayers!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.