I have Frozen shoulder and can't get through PT w/o ending in tears from the pain. Is that normal?

Posted , 23 users are following.

I was diagnosed a couple months ago. Got a steroid shot which didn't help. Doing I intensive physical therapy but is it normal to be brought to the point of tears and feeling like I'm going to pass out? It's like I'm being stabbed with a knife in my shoulder over and over. Should I find a better physical therapist or is this normal?

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

OH yes the FS is very excruciating I tried therapy was to much. I asked for pain meds to complete therapy.

i origionally had Xiaflex injections and a few days later the doctor manipulate the shoulder and frees it up. Xiaflex is a protien that targets the collagen tissue in the shoulder responsible for restricting the ROM.

that was 8 months ago and have full ROM .I hope that your in the US Xiaflex is approved for FS soon to be approved in other countries. 

• Posted

Hi Amy I've had surgery for mine but prior to that my Dr, Physio and now surgeon said never ever reach any pain level as the shoulder is already inflamed and built up with scar tissue and you don't want to keep aggravating it anymore

• Posted

Xiaflex will break down the scar tissue. If it's available to you it will be soon. Sorry to hear that your still suffering its no fun. 

See online for for more details.

• Posted

I am in my eighth month of FS. I was advised by my doctor that the new way of thinking is not to do any PT during the inflamation/pain stage but just to manage the pain. I am now out of the inflamation stage and in the frozen stage. I am relatively pain free and have recently started therapy and my ROM is improving.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks so much for sharing your experience.  How long did the inflammation stage last?
    • Posted

The inflamation stage lasted around 6 months. This is actually my second frozen shoulders the first was 5 years ago. That time I did PT from the start, had lots of massages and had 3 cortisone shots, this time I have decided to let it run its course and the progression has been exactly the same. It took 18  months to recover last time and the way it is going I think it will be about the same this time.
    • Posted

This is interesting. I'm just starting my second FS  ... I, too, had physio that was agonising with the first and eventually gave it up. I've recently had a cortisone show (by the tendon, not inside the joint) and the pain is pretty bad.  With my last FS, after about 9 months, I had a cortisone shot in the joint and it worked wonders. I am still in shock that I'm going through this hell all over again. (Different shoulder)

• Posted

This is my second FS as well....also a different shoulder.  Was yours caused by an injury?  My first (4 years ago) happened after surgery for a bone spur.  The second one began about 2 months ago after an injury at the gym.  I had a cortisone shot this morning and it helps somewhat with the pain, unless I move a particular way and then I get that stabbing pain that I'm sure you are familiar with.  How long did your cortisone shot last for you?  I'm replying to a post that you made 5 months ago.  Wondering how you are doing today?  Is your shoulder still frozen?  How long did it take to regain your range of motion during your first frozen shoulder?  I too gave up on the PT the first time.  I exceeded the number of visits allowed by my insurance company and it became too expensive to continue.

• Posted

My physio says that causing pain only makes it more inflamed defeating the purpose

Only work within your ROM without pain, to the edge before pain

I would be seeking another physio

Hope you find relief soon

• Posted

I completely agree with this approach. I ditched my PT who was causing immense pain and inflammation. Instead, I went with acupuncture to increase blood flow and relieve tightness in muscles surrounding rotator cuff, in combination with an amazing Dr./PT practice that does electric stim, heat, and deep massage with stretching. Has worked wonders!
  • Posted

Hi Amy

You will find a range of opinions on here.  I am no expert, but it sounds like you are still in the initial, freezing, stage of FS.  PT will be very painful during this stage.  Personally, I think PT is of little use during this stage; just do very gentle exercises and keep using it for 'everyday' tasks if you can, to try to keep any ROM you have.  When the FS has reached the 'frozen' stage, you can increase the PT, as it will be less painful, but I don't see any point in being in agony.  If your therapist won't agree to this, find a different one.  Have you seen a doctor to discuss options such as manipulation under anasthethic or capsular release?

• Posted

Thanks Richard.  I'm getting a lot of feedback along these lines.  I've had many injuries from sports -- torn ACL, torn meninscus -- so I'm pretty used to what the pain of PT feels like.  This type of pain is on a different order and seems to not be doing any good.  I'm going to try a different approach based on the majority of feedback I'm getting. Thanks for your time.

• Posted

Hi Amy....I had a fs 7 yrs ago

...my consultant said that chiros and physios r a waste of money for FS....accept after a MUA or hydrodilation....I am 3 weeks after a MUA....heaven. .....practicality sleeping thru the night...first time since June....I had mine done at a Cheam private hospital

Ok I am lucky I have private insuance....

• Posted

Sorry to say this but it is all vey normal. Oct2012 was the start of my right shoulder. The pain down the arm to the finger tips, the shoulder was torture. I had steroids and physiot to start with, then moved on to surgery. Three ops on shoulder and manipulation. Finally thawed Oct 2015, but lost my job as I was unable to type. Now my left shoulder is at the point where I cannot move it behind my back, cannot lay on it either. The pain is excruciating. I was given  a C5 sleeve injection(steroid) two weeks ago, guided in the op theatre. Things have got worse and I now feel I am on another long road for recovery. Apparently this is normal that once one shoulder freezes the other one does within two years. Somehow you have to get through it like all of us, but it is no walk in the park. There is no quick fix. Some recover better than others. Do what is right for you and your shoulder.
    • Posted

Can I jay can you order a shoulder brace designed just for the particular arm online it can be heated or used as ice.

in the us Xiaflex was a injection a protien designed to break thru the collagen in the facia tissue and shoulder capsule. 

After three days I returned to the dr office where under freeze spray and nerve block injection he manipulates the shoulder to open to total ROM.

That was 8 months ago still doin well. Also manulipation thru nerve block is available in most countries has worked well for me on my first shoulder with FS before Xiaflex was on the market.

Many heeling blessing sent your way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.