Gastric band op - is it right for me???

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

i have yoyo dieted for 30 odd years and recently lost 3.5 stone and within 10 months have put it all back on (& some😁😁 ) I have a very unhealthy relationship with food I'm either binging or dieting and there's no inbetween (I don't do anything that I would consider that I have a eating disorder though)

ive had a consultation at a private clinic and they have said I'm eligible for the band. My Dr doesn't think I should have this operation and that some people actually put weight on with the band. The other complication is I am due a gallbladder op which is done by keyhole surgery.

I really want to have a healthy relationship with food and hope the band is the answer so if anyone on the forum has any advice, experience or thoughts that can help me I'd really appreciate it🙂??

????

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The problem with a band is that you can still eat junk so if it's poor  food choice then it's a no hoper. I had band 9 yrs ago it's was removed and a bypass in May , best thing I ever did so if u can go for that but do lots off research it's life changing whichever choice you make and not always for the best, I went private and they don't do many bands  anymore

• Posted

Thanks Deb for the reply. When I went to the hospital (also private) they said because my BMI was 33 I'd only qualify for having the band. Do you know if there is true? whats the benefits of the bypass as opposed to the band.xx

• Posted

i too have been a yoyo dieter - i lose the wgt and put it back on - with interest - your doc is right that some people do regain their wgt loss with a band - its not a magic wand - just a tool to aid wgt loss - it will restrict the quantity of food you eat but it wont restrict what you eat in as much as you could eat a whole tub of haag daz ice cream but you would struggle with a piece of dry chicken cos its all to do with texture of food - some foods slip through no prob such as ice cream - but it a food is dry it just sticks and thats not nice - could you get to a support group and speak to some people face to face who have a band get their opinions - some hosps run support groups or you could google wlsinfo who also have groups both online and locally - ive no idea how it react with a gall bladder op but the band is also keyhole surgery - the band wont alter the unhealthy raltionship you have in your head - do lots of research cos a private provider could tell you that you are eligible in order to gain another patient / client - depend on how much you have to lose but there are other types of wgt loss surgery too that you might find more appropriate - look at them all - l0ok at the negatives and positives and decide which you could and could not live with - some people find the need to have the band filled at regular intervals a negative - others do not - some prefer the band cos it the least invasive surgery - when you factor in the price look at the band fills too and find out how many you will get in your after care package  - if you have to pay for them separately it could be £100 each time - good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.