depression, ptsd, co codamol and anti depressents

Posted , 5 users are following.

i am struggling i have been for a few weeks now suicidal thoughts are getting worse i was scared and would never act upon then and now i am taking over 15 co codamol a day i dont no how many i have taken today or what to do. I dare not tell my partner and do not want to scare the kids i need to get some help but dont want to do it in the way of well i dont no what. what should i do

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi lou,

I know the shame and embarrassment of wanting to keep it a secret I did it for nine years, but my first piece of advice would be to tell your partner. It's so much easier to tackle the problem when you have support.

Next would be to find a reliable GP that you can trust. There are a variety of alternate medications that can help with your depression and PTSD. I know it may seem like the initial high of the codeine makes you feel better but in the long run it will only make your depression worse.

My mum suffers from PTSD so I've witnessed first hand how debilitating the effects are. Before she sought out medication she was in a very deep hole of depression and mania for a very long time.

I'm not sure if medication is an option you are willing to consider but it does help.

I know it's much more desirable to keep everything to yourself but if you're feeling suicidal you need to get some help. It would be much worse for your kids to lose you entirely. Please if you ever need advice or someone to talk to send me a msg. There's nothing worse than feeling like you're alone in this.

Take care biggrin

Nikki

• Posted

Hi Lou. There are lots of people here who have similar problems. Please read their posts. You are NOT alone. Go and see your GP immediately. Get help. You can recover from this. Good luck. Drew
  • Posted

I am glad Nikki has written. Her advice is always great. Try and act on it Lou. Drew x
  • Posted

Hi Lou,

I think this is something that you have to share - with your partner. If you suddenly weren't there, it would be like a bomb going off. I was addicted to 32 - 64 N+ daily, and just to utter the words to my GP 'I am addicted to Over the Counter painkillers' the words sounded harsh - but very true. I found that the Ibuprofen in the quantities I was taking was making me feel really depressed. But, there is always a way out.

We all think it's something we can handle - like alcohol abuse until one day, it becomes appaent to everyone that all is not well. If your partner loves you, he will understand. 15 cocodomol is paracetemol based - and that will damage your liver. Bite the bullet and get a liver function test (LFT). I guarantee your self respect and self esteem will benefit. 

And I know the blackness of depression - but do you find if you're actively involved in something that takes away from the endless spiralling thought trins common to depression, it is forgotton about. It is hard, but focus on the things you like doing rather than worryinmg about the negative stuff. I'm no doctor, but I think your LFT's will be normal.

It's also one thing to give up something, so replace the void with positive stuff. And tell people. Real friends help.

hope you feel better or that this helped in any way

• Posted

Hi Lou i agree with Nikki, you need to speak with your partner im sure he will be very understanding and he may even have noticed that you not been yourself lately. Once you start to talk to people and get it out in the open you can start to move forward.

Also read all teh posts on her they really do help.

Once small step at a time its worth it. Your kids need you and you have kids to put all your effort into to take your mind off other issues.

• Posted

Hello Lou. Can I add to Teresa's comments. I was scred to tell anyone. I really thought nobody knew. I finally confessed to my son. He said he knew I wasn't well all along and it was a big relief for him to finally know. He came with me when I went to see my GP. An understanding family or friends can be crucial. Don't be afraid. It's the first big step. Best wishes. Drew x

• Posted

Hello Lou. Can I add to Teresa's comments. I was scared to tell anyone. I really thought nobody knew. I finally confessed to my son. He said he knew I wasn't well all along and it was a big relief for him to finally know. He came with me when I went to see my GP. An understanding family or friends can be crucial. Don't be afraid. It's the first big step. Best wishes. Drew x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.